Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a cob pizza oven with an american granite stone base. I decided to make a charcoal grill inside the base and I'm getting ready to pour the concrete roof of the grill/floor base of the oven. Someone recently gave me a pallet of mortar mix...can this be used in place of concrete by adding aggregate?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
We have a few guys here including myself with WFOs we built. I saw a video of a cobb oven being build for a restaurant. Was pretty cool they formed it with branches for some type of flexible tree. After it dried for about a month they just burned it and burned the wood "form" right out of it.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
It should work just fine, but I would probably add a shovel of portland per 2 bags of mortar. If you can get crushed aggregate that would be better than pea gravel also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm building it on a pre existing concrete slab. The base is about a 4ft diameter. I thought to myself... since I'm building a stone base why not make the bottom a charcoal grill? So then I think...since I'm building a charcoal grill why not build a smoker above it? This whole thing is a family project that we wanted to do on the cheap. So far we've got about $15 into it and I just set the grill today. I should be pouring the roof of the grill/base of the smoker by Tuesday. Someone told me to add vermiculite to the concrete mix...does this seem like a good idea?
This is my first masonry project
I have way more ambition than brains

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!
It seems that the ratio would be around 1:4 cement:perlite. Adding sand will help with strength.
it seems the difference between mortar and portland is that the mortar has some sand and perhaps lime in it, does that seem right?
So if I use the mortar I'm thinking 1 part mortar,3 perlite, 1 crushed aggregate and maybe 1 or 1/2 sand?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
mortar is a blend of sand and cement, the only likely cement in premixed is portland then they thin it out with limestone dust, cheap junk. I'd do as Tscar suggested, add some aggregate and some portland to it. Should be strong enough, I'd do it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts