Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Most moble homes wont bear the load of a conventional roof however there is a way to acomplish this.

Use a post and beam system place a pier under the moble home where ever your posts come down through your walls.

Install beams across on each load bearing positions.

"wah la!" build your roof on your post and beam system. However you just took the "moble" out of your moble home.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
5/12 on a mobile home? Are you saying you want to increase the pitch or are yous aying yoru mobile home already has a 5/12 pitch? I've never seen a mobile home aboe 3/12. Most are 2/12 or less for the reasons Glass said.

A roof puts stress on the exterior walls. They can't bear very much weight.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have seen mobile homes with steep pitch roofs, but they were all supported by posts put in just outside of the mobile home's walls.
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The roof is basically flat at present. Is there no way to put some kind of rafter system mounted on the outside perimeter of the mobile home and fasten the metal roof to it. This is just a seasonal trailer that we use in the summer. I don' believe that the weight would be that much of an issue.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
If you do a rafter system make certain you use some kind of collar ties or ceiling joists equal in size to the rafters. Again you will also have to reinforce the walls. LOL thinking about it, what you are really doing is building a house around a mobile home shell.

Let me ask, why do you want to pitch the roof? Maybe there are better cures for your problem. I know of a guy in FL who uses low slope membranes for mobile homes because the shingles leak too much. If you like the look of the shingles, then install an ice shield on the entire roof surface before the shingles to eliminate leakage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have seen seasonal homes in this area, where they build the structure around them.

Kind of like a form fitting carport if you will. Six down posts, then the beams and rafter system with a steep pitched roof. They are not the best looking thing in the world, but it does keep the heavy snow off the flat roof of the mobile home (travel trailer in some cases)

Some I have seen are not as form fitting, so the trailer can be moved in and out without worry.

G

·
mobile home re- roofing

Hi,
Im a Metal Roofing Fabricator. I have been re-roofing existing mobile home roofs for about 11yrs. I have a system, I use, that is less then 1lb. per sq. ft. It is ventilated and also strenghthens the existing roof structure. There are 13 beautiful colors to choose from. Putting this system on will assure the end to any and all roofing issues.(814)224-4268 or email: [email protected] thanks.

G

·
mobile home re- roofing

Unregistered said:
Hi,
I'm a Metal Roofing Fabricator located in central PA. I have been re-roofing existing mobile home roofs for about 11yrs. I have a system, I use, that is less then 1 lb. per sq. ft. It is ventilated and also strenghthens the existing roof structure. There are 13 beautiful colors to choose from. Putting this system on will assure the end to any and all roofing issues.(814)224-4268 or email: [email protected] so if you would like to have more info. please contact me. thanks.

i also have pics available for email :)

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
How about just throwing a coat of the elastomeric roof coating made for trailers on the roof every 3-7 years and saving a ton of money since it is just a seasonal place? You just scrub the roof clean and put it on with a sweep broom, takes about 2-3 hours total.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts