Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I had a teeny job where a cust wanted a plug installed for a micro I asked them where to put it in the cabinet or outside it. They chose outside I di it got paid and left. Now they're mad saying I should have put it inside and I hae to come back take it out fix drywall and install new (with fishing of course) inside. I offered a reduced price to do that but its "my fault" for not insisting it goes inside. They chose where I'm not gonna argue where to put it. You tell me I do it and its done.
They want to escalate, keep calling every few days and I'm sick of it. I don't want to go to ct over it. What do you guys think? :censored:

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
Job completed and you got paid.

End of story.

It was put in per code, correct?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course. Paid cash too! Problem is didn't use the 6 page iron clad contract because it was a buck and a half job and didn't think anything about it. Just the quickie 1 page paper. I can't be held liable for their decision as to hwere to put it. I know I can 't but people are sue crazt

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Mounted microwave under a cabinet plug goes inside, free standing counter model plug outside.

I hope you ran a Home-run for it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ya see, this is whats wrong with most "handymen". Says he charged $150.00 then takes shortcuts. Should of told them the plug had to install inside the wall. At that price its very doubtful he pulled a dedicated circuit. If he did he misquoted the job by at least $200.00. Either way its an unhappy customer who trusted him to do it right.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
go dart said:
Ya see, this is whats wrong with most "handymen". Says he charged $150.00 then takes shortcuts. Should of told them the plug had to install inside the wall. At that price its very doubtful he pulled a dedicated circuit. If he did he misquoted the job by at least $200.00. Either way its an unhappy customer who trusted him to do it right.
I don't think the issue was if it was in the wall or not, the original post said either inside the cabinet or outside.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Mounted microwave under a cabinet plug goes inside, free standing counter model plug outside.

I hope you ran a Home-run for it.
Greg..... Just a point of curiosity....

GE makes one model (used it but don't remember the model number) that can countertop, or hang under a cabinet (not as a built in per se)

Figure that can run off the SABC or dedicated?

I don't know?????

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just read this post 3rd time where did you get this info?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
123..... I don't know of many jurisdictions that would not technically require a permit for that install (cabinet or wall).... let alone a dedicated circut.

I guess that could play two ways for you, as I don't know if you as a handyman or the HO could be culpable. The HO would be ultimately responsible I believe.... I would doubt they are going to court, if that's what you ment by "ct"

If you ment contractor talk, you won't have any problem:thumbup:

Are these people wacko... or is there another side to this story.?

Is it built in. Did you run a dedicated circut.....probably not for $150.

Whats the wattage/amperage on the micro.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Greg..... Just a point of curiosity....

GE makes one model (used it but don't remember the model number) that can countertop, or hang under a cabinet (not as a built in per se)

Figure that can run off the SABC or dedicated?

I don't know?????
I don't know, but when ever I remodel a kitchen or when I build a new house, my electrician always does a dedicated circuit for a microwave. Some of this microwaves draw 1500-1800 W and the way he explained to me that he makes sure, the load on each breaker dose not exceeds 80% of its capacity.

I'm sure if Sparky or RSelectric checks this post, these guys are pros at this stuff maybe they can answer that or a few other guys who know this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
It would behoove anyone claiming that they are a pro to check the spec sheet of the proposed appliance(s).

If the HO knew how this worked, there would be no reason to call in a pro.

Over the counter (installed) micro-hoods typically need a receptacle in the cabinet above. Built in's with a trim kit can typically be installed behind the actual unit. Countertop units typically plug in to the countertop receptacles.

I always suggest a dedicated circuit for a microwave. Simply tapping on to the SABC for an installed microwave sure get's me a lot of service call work.

Researching spec sheets sucks, but it beats going back and making amends for mistakes I would imagine.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Someone once told me "1 mad customer equals 20 happy customers." So the way I see it is one free microwave install is worth 20 customers. It's the cost of doing business!

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
I think this guy has the right idea. You might want to make nice with this HO it doesn't sound very expensive to fix. But what I will say I will be very costly when she turns you into the building department and they turn you into the licensing board.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Sounds like the OP was in over his head. Adv123, why should you tell them where it goes? BECAUSE YOU ARE THE FRIGGIN' PRO, SUPPOSEDLY.

I would never install something in the wrong place per the customer. I would walk. Heck, I have walked from bathroom jobs because they wanted some crazy butt ugly tile work that I refused to put my name on.

As for the dedicated circuit, I am all for frig and micro on one of their own, period! I know that frig's don't pull as much, but if a breaker goes, I don't want the frig on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts