Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basement ceiling is being replaced with drywall. Just noticed a hot water line (1/2") copper) with several pinhole scabs on it, some really nasty ones - over 20' worth on that line only. Is it considered [email protected] to replace that damaged length with cpvc? I have a furring grid to go through (which I can notch), but just wondering whether having cpvc mixed-in is considered sub-standard.

Thanks.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
with several pinhole scabs on it, some really nasty ones - over 20' worth on that line only.
If the pinholes are where you can see them, they are where you can't see them also. It seems foolish to me to replace what you can see without replacing it all. You know there is a pending disaster, why would you wait for it to happen?

It's time for a re-pipe, you know it, and now we all know it.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the pinholes are where you can see them, they are where you can't see them also. It seems foolish to me to replace what you can see without replacing it all. You know there is a pending disaster, why would you wait for it to happen?

It's time for a re-pipe, you know it, and now we all know it.
While I take the point and would normally agree, this is particular to this length of bright (replaced at some point) pipe. All the original stuff is fine. It goes from the utility room (tee's off at water heater) to one bathroom, and I have access to all of it.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Pex is a better option..

Reactions: tenon0774

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
You wont regret it. You may need to buy some special tools but they will pay off.. plus its way more flexible to fit in tight places.. sounding perfect for your situation.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Incase he screws up 5 times :laughing:

Reactions: MarkJames and rex

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
How about a water calculation becasuse 20' of PEX does NOT flow like 20' of copper.

Ya can't just throw schit in because it's handy.:laughing:

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Ok, thank you. I was referring to the other comments, such as "100 ft....so he can screw up 5x." Good one. :laughing: I set it up and he ripped it out of the park.

Yep,
That was actually a funny response but I was out of thanks for the day.

...but as you also notice, the thread got a little heady.

...anyways:

To answer your question, I would not use CPVC because it would be too labor intensive vs. pex.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts