Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this thing a few months ago at an auction of an electrical company's assets. I actually forgot that I bought it and ran out of free storage time where it was located. I couldn't remember how much it weighed and was worried I couldn't pallet jack it between my fenders on my equipment trailer.
I ended up using my uncles truck and trailer (way over kill since the planer only weighs 1900 kg's)

This will run stock up to 18" wide by 8" tall and plane or profile all four sides at once.

This is a little bit of a power hog, 440v, 46kw, 80a.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
To put that amperage into perspective, you need 160 amps at 220v, plus transformer loss (+5%?). I guess the total hp is about 60hp?

The trick on motors that big is the startup amperage. My 60hp dip chain gang rip is 60 hp. It has a soft start setup, that allows me to start up at 150 amp supply, & seldom ever goes above 80 amp when cutting, even though it's a 160amp motor.

I could use one of those, but the Wadkin moulder will run anything I need. I just need more room to get set up!

I guess yours goes back in storage somewhere?

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To put that amperage into perspective, you need 160 amps at 220v, plus transformer loss (+5%?). I guess the total hp is about 60hp?

The trick on motors that big is the startup amperage. My 60hp dip chain gang rip is 60 hp. It has a soft start setup, that allows me to start up at 150 amp supply, & seldom ever goes above 80 amp when cutting, even though it's a 160amp motor.

I could use one of those, but the Wadkin moulder will run anything I need. I just need more room to get set up!

I guess yours goes back in storage somewhere?
I think it is closer to 70 hp total. I will be unloading it in my shop this afternoon. These euro motors are always rated by KW, which is still confusing to me.

This has soft start controls, power up and down, digital speed control and digital set for the top head as well. Pretty well optioned and versatile machine in a small package.

I think this was only occasionally run for about 6 years and then put into storage.

This thing new was right around 55 to 60K.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,914 Posts
Portugal did one thing right and that's make molders and planers. All of their equipment is beastly big. Got a dude around here that runs a 6 head pinheiro that can run 12" full diameter.

Weinig is for smooth precision, Pinheiro is for massive and still pretty precise... I recommend anyone who hasn't seen one of these in action to check it out. The feeder motors could move a car.

Big time score Darcy, pretty sure the only company who sells them new is out of Maine, like creekwater machinery or something close to that.

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was finally able to carve some time out and head to a friends shop in southern IN where I had stored this machine.

I spent all night friday cleaning, all day saturday cleaning, wiring, inspecting, repairing, etc.

We put power to it and checked everything over. I found a couple contactors that will need replaced, but I was able to power up each head, the feed and the power lift.

I will probably have to spend one more day on it before I can run anything through it.

I wish I had a place with the power to run this machine, it could be a real money maker to run.

More pictures here:
http://s272.photobucket.com/user/wconstructionco/library/Pinheiro?sort=3&page=1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts