Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Montana, we use a lot of pine trim. Several years ago I started using pocket screws for all the miter joints, to keep things nice and tight.
Have any of you had any experience using a corrugated stapler? I recently toured a facility that was using them looks like a really fast way to hold things together.
Thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Do you mean flat 1x trim?

We use pine here to, most of the casework is pine, MDF and poplar.

I remember as a kid my father putting picture frames together using those. I thought they were the coolest thing. Haven't seen them since.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, 1x4 typically. The house I'm doing now will have 1x4 casing and 1x6 base. I haven't ever considered one before, but after looking closely at how it holds, I am considering getting one. Waaay faster than pockets screws.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How could that be quicker than pocket screws?
What I like about them over pocket screws is that after you dovetail, glue, and assemble, there is some adjustment. Once the machine is set up, it all goes very quickly. I find with pocket screws you need to clamp things in place in order for the faces to properly line up. If you don't and things end up a bit off, it is damn near impossible to correct.
I haven't used corrugated staples, so I can't say how they would compare speed or quality wise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No production table for me either, however, I do approach it from a production perspective. Precut everything, I set up a plywood table to work on and have everything out. Usually goes fairly quickly once you get to that point.
However, the corrugated nail would be quicker, the setup would be the same.
I think I will get a gun and see, looks like I can get one for under $250.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
If you mean me Eric no. I've use only the Master Set and an extra large clamp. Plenty fast enough for me but I wouldn't mind a Foreman.
Sorry, I was asking dtsinc.

I have the master set as well but have seen the production setups in action. To say they are 10x faster would probably be underselling them. That's why I'm wondering what setup he was running of he's interested in switching to corrugated staples.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have never seen a foreman in action. Looks pretty awesome. Looks about $800, which could be worth it over a few jobs.
My interest in the corrugated staple came from seeing one being used. I have never used one, or seen how well it worked till last week. This got me thinking about trim jobs.
Just wondering if anyone else was using one.
The way I do it now is not that bad, just looking for a way to pick up the pace...cheaply

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are going for a production pocket hole cutter go with the castle boring machine.
http://www.castleusa.com/products/pocket-joinery/
Their bench top model is a few dollars more than the kreg foreman but the pockets send the screws at a lower angle so that there is less movement when you fasten the joint. Also it is a better made machine.

On another note over time is a pocket screw holding the heels of the 45's together on 1x4 pine trim? As a rule I square butt trim joints in 1x trim because miters look like hell in short order especially with pine. Still pocket screw the joint though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
45 degree miters are not the norm, but I do them occasionally. 2 screws with glue. I don't have any that look any different than the day they were done...yes I check on these things

1 - 19 of 19 Posts