Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the talk forums. I was in the process of searching for some tips and tricks on instalation of Pine log Siding. We have in the past installed many different types of siding from vinyl to steel but this is the first time we are doing log. I have found it beneficial in the past to search around for tips. Why learn by trial and error if someone has already learned for you. Anyway some question I had are:

What types of nails should I use.
What are the spacing of the nails(every 16,32,?)
Should we make but joints or bevel our joints.
window and door trim tips
exterior light and outlets, how to cut them into the logs so they dont look like crap.
And any other tips that would be handy.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
1.Use a spiral or ring shank nail.
2.16OC or just into the frame.
3.Bevel joints and glue if your going to treat it well.
4. Trim...I place a 5/4 x 2" trim around all doors windows and up corners. Then side too trim (5/4), then cap it off with a 1x3. This makes a sort of wood J channel. NOTE: log siding varies according to manufacturer in width you might have to rip somthing else down instead of 5/4.
5.cut them carefully on the edge then chew them out with a good (chissel?).

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips so far, I searched for the companys website, the siding is from the wilderness log company but the website only shows log packages and not specs for instalation or options for trim ect.

·
Registered
318 Posts
siding

Awesome Dakota. Not everyone likes that look but personally I love it.

On an aside note, you've got some serious marketing potential with your company's name. Something to the effect of: "Can you see our craftsmanship? Yep, it looks like Schmitt." :Thumbs: Turn a common phrase around into a positive phrase about the recognizability of your company's quality.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts