Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing more small detail molding & set up I have come to realize I need to get a pin nailer, the question is which one? After some quick research it seems as if the Grex P 635 is the model of choice, just wanted to hear from someone who has some experience with these, thanks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have the stanley bosctich one and love it, bought it on ebay for $89 brand new! and theres a good place there to get pins cheap, i bought it enough its lasted me 2 years already.:laughing:

you really dont need more than 1 3/16 pins anything longer bends and deflects through the wood, so if you had the 2" inmind its kinda a waste of money, anything over 1" probably will hold better with 18 Gauge:thumbsup:

but its a must for small cab moldings and self returns!

·
Banned
306 Posts
On a pin nailer, I wouldn't be too concerned on brand. Pressures aren't up high enough, for them to take much abuse. Id go cheap as possible, and spend the $$ on the 15 or 16 gauge.

Important thing, is to own a pinner. They are awesome...

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
I have the Grex P650. I figured what the heck, get one that shoots all lengths of fasteners.

Don't cheap out on one. The Grex and Cadex are the best you can get, they cost more for a reason.

I have shot about 10,000 pins through mine, not one single problem. Always sets the nails perfect, what ever length they may be.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
....I have a harbor freight one for $25...shoots 1/2" to 1"...works great, sets every pin in everything, never jammed...I really can't complain...at all. I have used a Porter Cable one and an Accuset (Senco)....if I had to rate the three I used, the Porter Cable beats the H.F. on the sole reason of a padded grip and a quieter exhaust...the Senco comes last, the nose is too big...but for the price...you can't beat the H.F. I am going to get more...have a gun for each common size I use..

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought a Porter Cable about 6 months ago. I do not have the opportunity to use it a tremendous amount (at least not when compared to trim carpenters) but I think it is great and have never had any problems. :thumbup:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have the Grex not sure the model # but the one that will shoot up to 1 3/8" and agree with WarnerConstr don't cheap out! Or you will end up buying the Grex or Cadex anyway, after endless frustration with the others.
Bill

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a porter cable. I love it. Never had any problems. My cabinet guy has one that shoots longer nails. He uses it to put on his crown. He puts some glue on to hold the crown permanatly and uses the pin nails to hold the crown in place until the glue dries. He doesn't have any nail holes to fill.:no:

·
Registered
967 Posts
All I can say that all the guys want to use my gun and are constantly swearing at theirs for jamming or not setting the nail.
We install custom cabinets and use them on hardwood moldings all day everyday.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
the only reason these guns jam is because you have to put the nails in with the arrows down since they are headless pins.:rolleyes: to all the know it all helpers out there:laughing:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I have the stanley bosctich one and love it, bought it on ebay for $89 brand new! and theres a good place there to get pins cheap, i bought it enough its lasted me 2 years already.:laughing:

you really dont need more than 1 3/16 pins anything longer bends and deflects through the wood, so if you had the 2" inmind its kinda a waste of money, anything over 1" probably will hold better with 18 Gauge:thumbsup:

but its a must for small cab moldings and self returns!
I agree with Five Star.
We've been using our 1 3/16" Bostich for over a year without any jams or problems, other than fine tuning the nose to get the proper nail set depth. It seems to be a common issue with this gun, but it only takes about 1/32 or less ground/sanded off the nose to get the set perfect. I paid $89 at Amazon for ours.
Five Star also mentioned the need to pay atention to the direction of the nail strips when putting them into the gun. It's very easy to not see that they are directional, & I suspect it's the main reason for most jams.

If you're only going to shoot a few thousand shots a year with a micro pinner, this is more than good enough gun. If you use it all day every day, go for a Grex or Cadex.
Since the main use for these pinners is for prefinished work, I have a hard time imagining anyone wearing one out in less than a few years, regardless of cost.
Joe

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i have the ridgid, works great almost the same as the porter cable gun except it takes a longer pin. used the porter cable as well good gun. the cats meow though is the cadex used one on a couple houses that the general owned but it costs way more. he said he paid $400 for it or something. where as i got the ridgid for $100

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i have the ridgid, works great almost the same as the porter cable gun except it takes a longer pin. used the porter cable as well good gun. the cats meow though is the cadex used one on a couple houses that the general owned but it costs way more. he said he paid $400 for it or something. where as i got the ridgid for $100

The ridged is not available here in us , but i did see it on ebay from canada! looks decent and very compact!

i like the bostich because the nose is long and it doesnt have the plastic on the tips so it fit into molding profiles with really nice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...I wish someone would by the HF one, try it out, and atleast tell me I am on crack if they hate it...lol
Thanks for all the replies! I am tempted to try the HF one, for the price & amount of times I use it, it might work out. Unfortunately I have a hard time buying cheap tools, past experience has taught me to go for quality over cost & in these price ranges cost is not really an issue. All the same I think I might get the Bostich, as I have had good luck with all the other Bostich guns I have owned.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I don't mean to take this thread off topic:laughing: I have a quick question for you guys that use pinners. I don't own one (yet):laughing:

I was always wondering how their holding power is with no heads? I can see on returns where you are glueing and pinning, but what about cabinet crown, and other small mouldings, how are they?

Dave

1 - 20 of 46 Posts