Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pilot went out on our furnace this morning. We have not had any problems with it before. It is a natural gas furnce for a trailer. I have tried lighting it about 10 times now and as soon as I let go of the pilot button I can hear it go out. This is the kind of furnace that you have to lift up the little door to look through the little hole to see the pilot. I can't actually see the pilot but I can see the glow. I have to push the pilot down and then push in the button to spark it. I've heard other people talking about the thermocouple but not sure where that could be on our furnace. Is this something we could possibly fix ourselves or do we need to call a serviceman. OUr budget is really tight as it is and it's Friday afternoon. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do or how much it might cost to have this fixed. Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
On many of those mobile home furnaces, to get to the thermocouple, you have to pull the gas valve/burner/pilot assembly out. While it is out is also a good time to clean the spark ignitor and the pilot as well. From what you have said, I think you would be better off calling a serviceman out. This really isn't the type of job to try and give step by step instructions over the net. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts