Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm doing a small residential addition with a concrete patio outside. Architect included 3-6" piers under the patio. I don't have much experience with concrete but I've never seen this before and thought you just pour a thick slab on compacted fill. I attached a portion of the drawing. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Piers Under Small Patio

It would be easier to drill 5/8 rebar into the existing foundation. This would achieve the same results more economically. That's how we do all flatwork here in Chicago.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Just ask the archy/eng.....

Generally speaking, many are not cost/efficiency sensative, and like to copy/imitate assemblys that are safe under a wide varied set of conditions....

But maybe there is a soil condition that you have not run into before....

although I doubt it... I like epoxy rebar as a simpler solution to settling slab patio...

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
The only time I would prefer epoxied dowels is with poured walls - hollow block, fieldstone etc... and I'd have those holes dug before you whipped out your drill.

I also don't like tying non footed patios or steps to footed structures with all the freeze /thaw we have around these parts.

Do them right on a proper base and let them float, they won't go too far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts