Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike I built the splay,hooked up the hood to the pipes,and sheet rocked it. The finish work is in the finish guys contract so I didn't do the molding. But I could of. I am going to get some more pic of some different work I did and set up a web base resume. Which will turn into my business site when I am get every thing ready and legal.

Kurf- what the boss wants is what the boss gets. ;)

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike Finley said:
How did you frame the compound curves?
Well first I framed the top box. Which was a rectangle then attached that to the wall and ceiling. Framed a 2x8 box around the hood. Then used 1/4 inch fiberboard marked points from the outside of the 2x8 and one to the outside corner of top box.
Made two patterns then temped them up on the two side to the wall. Evened then marked the curves. Used two layers of 3/4" plywood cut to the curves then attached on the wall.
Next attached the fiberboard sides on. Then took the front side piece wild and temp it up and marked curves. Cut fiber board. To get the tutor hip rigid I use 2x6's put in place marked cut to curve and replacated for other hip. attached to each corner of 2x8 and top box. Then attached fiberboard. Next came 1/4" sheet rock. Wetted it up a little and fit curves perfectly. Tape and mud.
And the finish guy and painter did the rest. Oh yeah the electrician hooked up the power. :Thumbs:

·
FRAME ON!
1,653 Posts
I think Justaframer is a fricken talented dude, I addmit I would be a mere 3rd when it comes to his craftsmanship.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vent Hood

Beautiful work and as previously mentioned a lot more complicated than a layman would guess. I would suggest matching the lower moulding to the top to better balance it visually. Just a suggestion, certainly not a criticism.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Anybody ever hear anything from JustaFramer??? I havn't seen him on any of the other forums either.

·
Registered
170 Posts
hope my wife doesn't see this, she's been begging me for one since i put the kitchen in and i know what a pain in the ass it's going to be. Plus it's my own house and I've had enough of it!

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank for your nice comments. I merely framed that piece when I worked for a developer as a utility carp/ asst. sup. All the other work in the pic was done by some top notch subs. Though considering that only 1/4" rock was used my work had to be tits on. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts