Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting on a fence project on my own home...what do all of you fencing expects do for picket spacing on a shadow-box fence? I'm using 4-3/4" wide composite pickets if that makes any difference. I want a fair amount of privacy...next to a parking lot...I originally planned the same spacing as board width, but that probably allows too much of a view diagonally...Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks....looked at some of your websites...some great craftsmanship out there on decks and fencing.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
For a 4 3/4" picket I would space them at 2 1/2" giving an inch of coverage on each side of the board.

Any closer than 2 1/2" and I think it would look funny. 3" would look better but visibility will be increased.

I usually use a 3 1/2" space for standard 5 1/2" pickets.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,386 Posts
I did one this summer where I used 1x6's, 5 1/2" board w/ 5 1/2" space between, then another 1x4 in the center of that space on one side of the fence only,( inside). Looked like a regular shadow box fence on the outside, but you couldn't see thru it much.

My orginal thought on doing the shadow box fence was the same as Curapa, but neighbor had a chihuahua so we had to close the space up so he couldn't pass thru.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts