Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a current problem I have. We found two separate phone services on my current project. They were not located by the one call service. They were also only 1 inch under the concrete we tore out. So we found them the hard way. This was a month ago. I have not been able to get the phone company out to even find out if the lines are 1 theirs, 2 in use. Being a school project, and this being summer, no one is missing the use of their phones. Should I just go ahead and fix these things myself, just to be sure, or do I need to track down a phone company van working in the neighborhood and wrangle the guy up?

·
Contractor
7,680 Posts
I would do what ever it takes to make sure the phone lines are abandoned or properly repaired.

If it is found later that the lines are "live", you'll be paying to fix them.

Isn't there anyone to call and make some noise?

·
Registered
399 Posts
When in doubt, fix it. Fixing a phone line, however, is not a matter of crimping and taping. If the phone company won't fix it, I would try to get the repair kits they use from whatever supplier carries them. If you don't, moisture will eventually wick it's way up the line and eventually cause failure. If the line turns out to be abandoned, you are just out the cost of the repair vs. well, you know the rest:thumbsup:

·
Eater of sins.
4,687 Posts
Well generally speaking if the lines are in the house or structure they are not the phone companies problem. They are the property owners problem. Frankly it is the easiest thing in the world to check the lines out if they work, get a phone jack that has screw in terminals in the back, strip the phone lines, attach to terminals, plug in phone, see if it works.
You may have to change wires around a bit to see which may carry the signals but you can find them easily enough.This is of course providing that the service in turned on to the lines.

Andy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts