Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I've went to an electrical trade school twice, once in 1997 and again in 2002. Through-out the time I started, I've worked for Fire / Alarm companies and as a residential and light commercial electrician, but never went to take my electrical license test. My questions are; What would be the most effective way to prepare for passing the test? Are there any good courses locally or online? If I pass the Masters Electrician's Test; Does that make me licensed, or do I have to take another test for that? Also what book is allowed to take the test; 2008 code book???

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Depends on your area. (Hint-fill out your profile including area)

In Illinois, electricians are licensed by certain municipalities and then the license is honored in other cities. There are PA guys on this site who may know more specifics.

Welcome to CT by the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depends on your area. (Hint-fill out your profile including area)

In Illinois, electricians are licensed by certain municipalities and then the license is honored in other cities. There are PA guys on this site who may know more specifics.

Welcome to CT by the way.
Unfortunately in Pa, there are only a couple of bigger cities that you must test for. Pittsburgh is one and im sure the other major cities, outside of that you must prove to the state that you carry insurance and that your contract is set up correctly to protect the consumer.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,433 Posts
If I get a license for Pittsburgh, do I need one for the surrounding areas???
Only if they require it, and you'll have to check each locality individually.

There's no statewide licensing in PA, and AFAIK little to no reciprocity between cities. While generally only the larger cities have any licensing requirements at all, each of those who do has its own fees and requirements.

That's one of many reasons I prefer to work in the more rural areas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could anyone recommended any preperation courses, just to pass the electrical license exam? I've seen some online, but wasn't sure how good they were.
Mike holt has some good stuff. Also i know if your looking to test for pittsburgh, you have to have 2yrs under a registered electrician or 8yrs exp. You may want to check with the city you plan on testing for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts