Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea about a niche market...

Pets have been, and seem to be becoming a more significant part of our lives. To many our furry friends are a part of the family, like kids to some.

I did some work for a friend a few years back who fostered for the SPCA. Bed ramp, window seat, and small kennel for the animals.

As a side project, I've been thinking about building custome pet furniture that mimics a home's style, woodwork etc... A built in dog bed with skirting that matches the baseboard and apolestry, jungle gyms for cats with matching carpet, fish tanks....the possibilities are endless and limited only to your and your clients' imagination. All with the focus to make pieces built to fit a home.

I thought about approaching a few previous clients as guinney pigs and doing a materials only project to see if they'd be interested. I atleast need to build a couple demos to sell my idea.

Does anyone have any experience with this, is there a market to occupy this niche? Any suggestions for building demos and a portfolio?

To be honest, I'd like to make a buck doing something I would enjoy, that I'm set up for, with Low overhead, little if any competition, and doesn't directly compete with my employer....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I can't point you in a specific direction other than you're on to something.

I have seen SO much for pets out there.

I thought our 3 dogs were spoiled until I saw dog houses,clothes,ANYTHING you can imagine and the costs!:eek:

Good luck with this I think you'll make a KILLING!:thumbup:

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
To be honest, I'd like to make a buck doing something I would enjoy, that I'm set up for, with Low overhead, little if any competition, and doesn't directly compete with my employer....
Wouldn't we all :rolleyes:

Just bustin' chops.

Hey if you can make it work go for it.
You'll never know until you try.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I agree that these types of things are all about marketing and price point. That is once you have a great product.

I think for this to fly high you need to be able to get by on 50% of the consumer's price. Then you can take orders and ship product from the comfort of your shop.

I would need a marketing partner myself. That may be your strong suit.

Either way I think you should look at all the angles real well so you have no regrets if you let it go.

Great idea, I hope you can make it happen for yourself:thumbsup:

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
There is definitely a market for it. My friends spent well over a hundred bucks for one of those cat climbing towers. It was made out of scrap plywood and carpet remnants...

I always made of people that spent tons and tons of money spoiling their pets...Then we got Lucy. I am now one of those people...

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think for this to fly high you need to be able to get by on 50% of the consumer's price. Then you can take orders and ship product from the comfort of your shop.
I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean:party: 50% of the cost others are selling the same product for?

The beauty as I see it, is I can start small with scraps from the jobsite, without a large shop and mostly the basic tools I already have. From there I can decide to make a go of it, how far I want to go and how big.

There's definately a line I don't want to cross with my employer...... time, materials etc....my full time job remains my 1st priority

My first step was to see if this idea is worthy....Now I have to build something and get more feedback/ideas.

Thanks for the responses, your encouragement will help me to stop talking and get doing!

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean:party: 50% of the cost others are selling the same product for?
What I was trying to say is that any store that carries your product will probably need to mark it up by 100%.
You will see 1/2 of the actual sale. The nature of wholesale.

People do it and so can you. I just thought I would shed some light on that aspect of your idea.

Lets see some prototypes.:thumbsup:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I was trying to say is that any store that carries your product will probably need to mark it up by 100%.
You will see 1/2 of the actual sale. The nature of wholesale.

People do it and so can you. I just thought I would shed some light on that aspect of your idea.

Lets see some prototypes.:thumbsup:
I wasn't really thinking that big....(having someone else sell my product?)

MY idea was formed more or less by working on med/high end homes with so much attention to detail and they move in a crap wal!mart dog bed when they could have so much more as easy as a built-in bookshelf!

I don't think many people are aware the possibilities unless they are offered! My goal is to bring the idea to their attention...

I'll shut up and come back with a demo! Talk is cheap!

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Oh I get it now.

Forgive me as I'm sure I ate lead paint as a child. :jester:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I wasn't really thinking that big....(having someone else sell my product?)

MY idea was formed more or less by working on med/high end homes with so much attention to detail and they move in a crap wal!mart dog bed when they could have so much more as easy as a built-in bookshelf!

I don't think many people are aware the possibilities unless they are offered! My goal is to bring the idea to their attention...

I'll shut up and come back with a demo! Talk is cheap!
One thought: Make say 4 (or some other number) of a few pieces. Once you get the prototypes done you'll figure out how much time it REALLY takes(OBVIOUSLY). Take pics and post them on E-bay.

You can always say X amount of weeks to ship. That covers your a$$ on time to make them and you only need money(or scraps) wrapped up in a few and when people prepay(they won't know you don't have a warehouse full) you take their money to build new if you don't have a few ready to ship.:thumbsup:

That can "work for you" on autopilot while you're working on the local market!

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I get it now.

Forgive me as I'm sure I ate lead paint as a child. :jester:
No need to apologize, I'm greatful for your input! I didn't really expect any replies to be honest.....

I'm a little suprised you and some others haven't had similar requests.

That could be good or bad.

jtpro. I like your idea, ebay would also be an indicator as to how much interest there is. Folks love their pets....doggy daycare:blink:, clothing, why not furniture? Some jerkoff tried to sell me mittens for my dog..........

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
No need to apologize, I'm greatful for your input! I didn't really expect any replies to be honest.....

I'm a little suprised you and some others haven't had similar requests.

That could be good or bad.

jtpro. I like your idea, ebay would also be an indicator as to how much interest there is. Folks love their pets....doggy daycare:blink:, clothing, why not furniture? Some jerkoff tried to sell me mittens for my dog..........
But did you buy?:whistling :laughing:

With e bay who knows? Maybe people in Cali would snatch things up in a sec.

Think of your first "overseas inquiry". The net is awesome for little start up money and not having a hands on inventory like a brick and mortar.

When you make it big and flooded with 1,000s of orders perhaps you might want to think about expanding to having a fabrication and shipping "warehouse" say in Florida. PERHAPS in or around the Jacksonville area.:whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts

/quote]

What is it that you are really saying there Sport? Hmmmm?:whistling

·
Registered
143 Posts
WNYCarp,
I say go for it, especially if it's for filling in for slack times.
I have considered the same thing. There are some great looking indoor dog houses that I have considered building during slow times. They double as furniture. I think your concept has some potential...especially in California.
Yeah, we're all weird and rich here:no:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

/quote]

What is it that you are really saying there Sport? Hmmmm?:whistling
What do you THINK I'm saying CHIEF!:eek::laughing: JK

I used Cali as a reference 'cause it's ALL the way kitty corner from him and seems things are higher price and celebs and people with CASH seem to spend more in a niche market and on pets.

Not to mention San Fran and the "special" people that live there with thier fu fu dogs.:whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
What do you THINK I'm saying CHIEF!:eek::laughing: JK

I used Cali as a reference 'cause it's ALL the way kitty corner from him and seems things are higher price and celebs and people with CASH seem to spend more in a niche market and on pets.

Not to mention San Fran and the "special" people that live there with thier fu fu dogs.:whistling
Yeah you got a point. Still stings though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just was talking about this the other day . We were slicing and dicing a big beautiful home for an elevator shaft . The HO's are in their 70's and need one. Anyways ,this guy owns and started the super market for pets [Pets Plus] I think thats the name and he was telling us they own a company that makes pet climbing structures and other stuff for the stores. He also said the market for that stuff is way down . It seems that sort of thing is very much influenced by the economy,people just don't spend the money on their pets when things are bad and another thing ,my step mom inherited my old mans animal hospital and she said business is way down.
Sorry ,I didn't mean to take the wind out of your sail.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just was talking about this the other day . We were slicing and dicing a big beautiful home for an elevator shaft . The HO's are in their 70's and need one. Anyways ,this guy owns and started the super market for pets [Pets Plus] I think thats the name and he was telling us they own a company that makes pet climbing structures and other stuff for the stores. He also said the market for that stuff is way down . It seems that sort of thing is very much influenced by the economy,people just don't spend the money on their pets when things are bad and another thing ,my step mom inherited my old mans animal hospital and she said business is way down.
Sorry ,I didn't mean to take the wind out of your sail.
That's good stuff! That's why I asked. :thumbsup:

But it did give me an interesting marketing idea....I could build a couple demos and donate them the an animal hospital and leave some business cards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts