Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's..... I am a newbie on here and I want to thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

I have had a bed bug problem starting about 4 months ago. I have a rental property where i rent out the individual rooms , 3 at this house. I contacted an exterminator who has come by and treated the place on four occasions. Still have some active bugs.
My question is regarding the product being used. He is using a mixture called V88 ....... I am wondering if you guys are familiar with this and if it is effective. Are there any other more effective products i could try myself ?.

These bugs are a real pain the A$$ to get rid of and the $$$ is starting to add up. Also, i do not want to rent to a new tenant until I have this under control.

Thanks again..... suffering in Fl.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Oh, and is this a house? As in free standing structure with no common walls like an apartment building. A regular house.

Then to rule out internal sources and bat bugs: Is it on a slab? If not, please detail foundation and skirting a little. Mostly can critters get under it. What about the attic, can critters get in there? Any trees touching the house?

How much are you willing to spend on do it yourself products?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would limit myself to non-chemical methods if I were you. I would buy them some of the following products if they like and have them self apply.

Gentrol point source
Bedlam
Phantom aerosol
Mattress covers designed for bed bugs, get one for the box spring as well

If they won't do that then I would get another exterminator. You could apply the products yourself, but there's some liability to worry about when you go spraying people's beds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a single family house on a slab..not connected to any other structure... no other pests besides bed bugs which were introduced by a former tenant. Currently they seem to be confined to two of the bedrooms.
Originally i spent many hundreds of $$$ at Orange Depot on products that don't work, just pi**ed the off the bugs and they moved from one room to another. Then i called the exterminator , now hes pi**ing me off ....... using this VA88 which i did see it kill bugs on contact...... problem arose on his follow up visit when he mixed up another batch ....VA88 are very specific about using distilled water, guess what he used, yep...good ole tap water.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I didn't see them specify distilled water on their website, but I did see a guarantee. Maybe you can file a claim.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this product and there seems to be nothing online about it. My first thought is that it is useless. Contact killers really aren't that special.

I would just get a new exterminator.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I still did bed bugs I never really had a problem getting them out of houses. If he can't beat them in 4 tries I doubt another 3 would do it. Of course I haven't seen the house either. Bed bugs are like roaches, you have to be thorough. I do quite a few restaurants and most of them I got because they had used several different exterminators, sometimes 6 or 7, over the last year to 18 months. All of whom had failed to make any real difference with their roach problem. I go in there and turn it around in no time and am their new hero. They're a customer for life. I share this story just to make the point that it isn't all that hard to run into an exterminator, or anyone in any profession for that matter, who is not as thorough as they need to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like you're not targeting all of the problem areas correctly. Hire a company that uses a bed bug canine and make sure you get positive IDs on all of the areas where they are residing. For the chemicals, I'm not famlilar with V88. Aside from the stuff that exterminators use, you can setup a CO2 trap (google it) and try to lure them out that way.

Bed bugs are attracted to CO2, so if you employed that, a bed bug dog and a viable chemical then you should be able to take care of it. good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bed bug infestation signs are red bumps on your skin from over night or blood spots on a sheet. Not confined only on the beds, the bed bugs could be anywhere in your house. We will advise you to schedule an inspection right now and provide you with a treatment plan. We could give references of prior Bed bug control jobs. To contact us visit the page http://reynoldspest.com/find-my-bugs/bed-bugs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts