Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
Think about this also:
all the used stuff you got didnt go to the landfill. its great to see something old get used again.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Good luck with doing it on the cheap, Just make sure ya wife aint picking the stuff. I was trying to do the same thing with our house. So far the $1500 sofa we was going to buy ended up being a $12k sofa, The $3.50sq/ft flooring we wanted ended up being a $9.50sq/ft flooring, The $2000 kitchen appliances ended up being a $5000 purchase and i could go on. Lucky for me i had loads of work come up in the last few days. :notworthy

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Update.
We've done most of the kitchen demo. Total 10 mandays. As one might expect of an older farmhouse, virtually every room was an add-on to the original kitchen. Workmanship varies wildly.
We found stucco over metal mesh over lath for the exterior walls, with wood over that, then paneling, then cement board, then aluminum siding, which in some cases was just left and drywalled over for additional rooms.
Of course, the floor isn't level, and the electrical work is a hodge podge, with some circuits having 15 junctures, and some having only 2. My lead guy is a licenced electrician, so it's no concern. The main fuse box is only a few years old and large enough for 200 amps.
Plumbing is a joke, as is insulation. In one spot, the insulation was old newspapers and 3 bibles.
I wound up taking out 4 walls, and now we are taking out part of a ceiling and roof, in order to get the ceiling lines to match up. Then of course we'll build a new roof about 18" higher.
Parts of the floor don't line up, some of the heating ducts don't work, and we've made some major changes in the design. (one reason why I didn't make up a complete plan.) We've been sort of deciding as we go along.
On the other hand, I expected some kerfuffles like these, and none has been a major time or budget killer. (except the roof, but I have shingles and plywood left over from a gazebo, so most material is covered anyway.
So far, I haven't had to buy anything except a few sawzall blades. We've sunk 2 beams into the ceiling, and have one more to go. I've used 2x10 cedar and pressure treated peices, and I have quite a bit of pressure treated material left over from the year. More than enough to do all the framing.
I fugure we'll have the framing, wiring and plumbing done in another 6 days, then we go to drywall, then trim.
I'm personally gonna do the tile and backsplash, as well as the shower.

I have dozens of pix, but no idea how to post them, for those who want to see.

The best thing though is that my wife is really cool. I ask her to take a look at every change I want to make, and she looks at it, smiles and says fine, she loves it, and then goes back to her wifely duties.

Went to a new tile place yesterday. They have genuine slate for the floor for $1.75/sq, and lovely travertine for the bath for $2.95/sq. Good prices?
We also went to Habitat for Humanity and they have some real bargains in various stuff.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, it's been more than 6 days. We are just now starting to drywall the powder room. We have rebuilt the roof, opened up the pantry, rewired part of the house, had an energy audit, put in 2 windows, a new side door (there wasn't one before), added a bunch of lights, rebuilt about 350 sq ft of floor that wasn't level, and are now re-insulating.
I picked up 550 sq ft of engineered wood floor for $250. Then we picked up 100 sq ft of slate tile (for the powder room) for $77.00.
I found some really nice beadboard style doors at a jobber for $40 each. Identical doors at Lowes? $60.00
Then I found 24 brand new mini pot lights for $200.
So far I have not purchased a stick of lumber. We have a mix of spruce, pressure treated and cedar.
Oh, I did buy plywood for the floor.

If you have the time to look and compare, there are some real deals out there.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts