Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Designing YourImagination
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thanks for taking a look at this. We are looking to finally construct a personal garage/workshop for our company at home.

We are looking at 28'x32' two story with a flat sloped roof on the 32ft length. Oh and we can't go much longer as we have mountain side that we will be dealing with for a longer garage.

Since I am not a new construction builder and mainly focus on large scale remodels what is the go to these days Floor trusses vs TJI for the floor system? We originally looked at 30x30 garage but stretching the TJI's out doesn't seem like a good plan and adding a center beam of LVL's 30ft clear span would be expensive as well. I know floor trusses can go a long ways but with current lumber prices up I imagine they are also up. What are you guys thoughts? I am not trying to spare expense and would like a live load of 30-40psf upstairs and 15-20psf dead load as we are not sure what we will build upstairs yet whether it be a full apartment or just a recreation room. In that case if my wife wants tile there will be no concern at 40psf for kitchen to be in the kitchen area etc.

Any advice on the garage would be great, oh and it is a detached garage that I can get an address for the business and write off etc but she will be able to park her Jeep in at times and also my F350 would be able to fit.

Thanks in advance!

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,777 Posts
30’ isn’t really a stretch for TJIs

Run a couple plans. It might end up being cheaper to do a mid span beam with a post and smaller floor joists off each side.

·
Registered
193 Posts
2 story with a low slope shed roof could look out of balance. If you have a sketch I’m sure you’ll get more responses. I personally would want to support the upper level with a center beam. Just don’t like the flex on long span I -joist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,412 Posts
What ever size you build it will wish it was bigger an hour after you finish it...

Dont forget min 8' high doors

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,633 Posts
My only advice, (from experience) build the biggest you can afford. I've had to add 3 times since building our initial shop & have plans to add another 20x24 addition.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,915 Posts
You'll have to have a lot of your shop equipment on wheels if you plan on parking 2 vehicles in there. I'd consider this as a garage, not really a shop.

Consider going with a center beam, you'll need to use overhead storage.

Also, ripping 16 footers, you'll either be doing it on a diagonal or putting either infeed or outfeed out a door or window. Out a window us nicer in cold winters.

Think carefully how you'll use it, it's a fairly small space.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,915 Posts
If money is the big constraint, design a shop that's as big as will fit, and design it for ease of expansion from a section of it. Maybe build half now and half later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts