Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Thanks @Warren !! I was thinking of recessing the nuts top and bottom and then using copper pipe as the spacer in between to hide the all thread since color wise it will be close to the decking.

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
Thanks @Warren !! I was thinking of recessing the nuts top and bottom and then using copper pipe as the spacer in between to hide the all thread since color wise it will be close to the decking.
Probably wouldn't even need the nuts and bolts if you only drilled halfway through the top and bottom boards. Probably gonna be difficult to assemble though.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Probably wouldn't even need the nuts and bolts if you only drilled halfway through the top and bottom boards. Probably gonna be difficult to assemble though.
Yeah I was thinking by bolting it all snug I could take out some of the minor curve these boards have to them...cinch it all tight to the spacers and keep the reveal consistent. They only span 6' +/- so I am hoping I don't need a lot of force to get them straight.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Toughest part will be making the jig to drill straight and centered thought the planks.

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
I was more concerned about the in/out bowing. I bet the copper pipe would be strong enough on its own. I don't think I would want to see the nut and washer at the top. I guess you could add a 1x2 to cover that?

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
I was more concerned about the in/out bowing. I bet the copper pipe would be strong enough on its own. I don't think I would want to see the nut and washer at the top. I guess you could add a 1x2 to cover that?
I was thinking of using a forstener bit to drill a recess just big enough for the socket to fit around the nut so it was hidden...then cut off the excess all thread when done.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts