Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Design Build
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the new fence turned out nice, I adjusted my gaze to the back deck.

I had "pre-stupid" prices lingering in my head..................wow. $7 PSF for TimberTech is now $14 PSF
I will be waiting for a drop in prices for this one.

Before:
Old deck.....slippery when wet and in need of yearly maintenance.
The previous owner face screwed through the cedar with small trim screws that the cedar has turned a corroded black.
At least his framing is 12" o.c.

The Plan:

I'm going to make the entire deck one-level surface so that bench seating can be placed around the future hot tub.

I broke the old hot tub/spa when I thought the pressure washer would be the right tool to use to clean it.

Nope. That's not the correct tool.

To resurface the deck will be between $8500-$10,000.
That's with me doing 100% of the labor for free.
Then a new spa or hot tub is another $7500 and the waiting list for those is about six months.

I'm looking into what are my options for hidden fasteners. I thought I would like the Camo system (edge screws) but I saw it installed and for some reason I am drawn to looking at the screws. They are not hidden..............just not through the face.

I will return to this thread once I can pull the trigger on this project and get it rolling.

·
Registered
12,858 Posts
We've given up on any carpentry projects on our place.

I must do the roof, but I'm trying to work a deal on that.

Other than that paint and some drywall work is it.

I do have a scad of left over materials, so we can do some small stuff, but no big items.

The greenhouse is on hold till next year at least.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
187 Posts
I've only used Tiger Claw and the Camo "hidden" fasteners and I know what you mean by Camo not being truly hidden, but they ARE extremely easy and fast to install and don't require the addition of a clip. I've been happy with Tiger Claw though for harder woods. I guess it depends upon just how hidden you want the fastener to be. I think there's a few that require securing from underneath, which wouldn't be ideal for you, given the distance from the ground. That's about all I know on the subject though.

·
GC/carpenter
43,943 Posts
The edge clips suck as far as looks. I really like the camo drive system. Fast and installs with a consistent groove.

They are priced decent as well.

Mike.
___

·
Design Build
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the deck I saw it was a light gray colored plank and the screw holes were dark so they stood out. I might get lucky if I matched the screws to a medium or darker plank. I trust deck builders so I appreciate your input. One of my favorite builders up here always uses the camo drive system.

I don’t think this will be something I get to until September or October unless price has dropped substantially.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Never understood why fasteners have to be hidden.
Face screw the damn thing.
Just make sure to clock all the screws in the same orientation.
I reccomend square drives.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
I tried Garapa decking for my personal deck a few weeks ago. It was grooved and then I used the IPE Clips from DeckWise. The most challenging part was dealing with curvy hardwood. Real pain but happy with the results. I also would augment with countersunk screws and then glued in plugs I cut with the Snappy plug cutter. That bit was awesome! I wouldn't recommend this to my clients unless they really wanted real wood (like my wifey...).

·
Registered
12,858 Posts
Never understood why fasteners have to be hidden.
Face screw the damn thing.
Just make sure to clock all the screws in the same orientation.
I reccomend square drives.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Way to slow. With the Camo clips I can set 8-10 boards, clamp them tight and have them screwed off in less then 2 minutes. And the gap is consistant with no effort from me.

·
GC/carpenter
43,943 Posts
I think the gun attachment is under 200 bucks.

It's nice to be able to use a cordless drill on it.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
12,858 Posts
Only thing I don't like is the collated adapter. It is a bit janky. Too easy to run out of the groove and scratch the deck.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Can I sidetrack this topic for an opinion oh wise CT members...I have this handrail detail to build. Plan is for the post to have a flange welded on the sides. I will then cut/route a groove in the end of the Garapa decking boards. I will slide them over the flange and then drill and bolt the boards with exposed stainless fasteners.

My question is the middle. Garapa is a dense hardwood and the boards are not perfectly flat or straight. I want to keep this look...so I am thinking of drilling the center of each rail and then using stainless all thread and spacers & bolting everything together to keep them all in alignment... anybody have a better idea?

·
Registered
Deck Builder
7 Posts
I tried Garapa decking for my personal deck a few weeks ago. It was grooved and then I used the IPE Clips from DeckWise. The most challenging part was dealing with curvy hardwood. Real pain but happy with the results. I also would augment with countersunk screws and then glued in plugs I cut with the Snappy plug cutter. That bit was awesome! I wouldn't recommend this to my clients unless they really wanted real wood (like my wifey...).
excellent mate!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Can I sidetrack this topic for an opinion oh wise CT members...I have this handrail detail to build. Plan is for the post to have a flange welded on the sides. I will then cut/route a groove in the end of the Garapa decking boards. I will slide them over the flange and then drill and bolt the boards with exposed stainless fasteners.

My question is the middle. Garapa is a dense hardwood and the boards are not perfectly flat or straight. I want to keep this look...so I am thinking of drilling the center of each rail and then using stainless all thread and spacers & bolting everything together to keep them all in alignment... anybody have a better idea?
Azek makes a leveling post mount. You could do something like that to plumb and level them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts