Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Residential Remodeler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on anybodies thoughts about turning in folks working without permits. I've recently lost a few jobs to low-ballers and now their working without permits!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would first make sure there are no permits on the job before you make a stink.

I have a red failure sticker (blank) and I am saving it for exactly the situation you are speaking of. Tag that sticker on the door and write "call the building dept immediately to avoid further fines". They will turn themselves in with that phone call asking for forgiveness from the inspector.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I have turned in many a project... In fact I have never turned in one I "lost" trust me by the time I get done meeting with someone they will either hire me or another good licensed contractor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Turn them in- multiple reasons. The playing field needs to be level- either you turn them in, or you agree that some people should get a cost advantage just because they decide to take it. The lowball hacks do unsafe work, are generally ripping off their clients- who are too stupid or too greedy to see they are cheating the future owners of the houses, too. Then there's safety. Then there's the added costs and regulations to doing business, primarily created by the hack jobs done under the radar who will never pay any of the costs of being legally in business.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Turn them in- multiple reasons. The playing field needs to be level- either you turn them in, or you agree that some people should get a cost advantage just because they decide to take it. The lowball hacks do unsafe work, are generally ripping off their clients- who are too stupid or too greedy to see they are cheating the future owners of the houses, too. Then there's safety. Then there's the added costs and regulations to doing business, primarily created by the hack jobs done under the radar who will never pay any of the costs of being legally in business.
I enjoy this forum most of the time. And I agree that it is to our advantage to report unpermitted and unlicensed work. But I continue to have a problem with seeing so many irrational statements.

In any argument or discussion we can weaken our position with comments based upon little more than our reactionary responses. None of what I marked in red above is anything any of us can possibly state as a fact in any instance with which we do not have first-hand knowledge.

At least, let us say the plain truth. "They piss me off because I choose to pay fees they ignore." A simple fact. In reality, we seldom know a blessed thing about the "hacks" we scream so loudly about. We only know that we wish we, ourselves, didn't choose to fork out cash they keep in their pockets.

And lest you think I'm turning a blind eye to shoddy work, let me say this. I have been in construction many years longer than most of you. The last 28 as a heavy fee paying GC. I have seen tons of lousy work. But you know what? The blame can often as not be laid at the feet of licensed contractors as it can unlicensed.

And I have seen some excellent work turned out by unlicensed brothers-in-law doing unpermitted jobs. So can we manage to be a little more rationally directed in our rants? It will sure help the public reading our posts to see us with a more mature eye.

Reactions: pattielewis

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Before i never paid much attention since the hacks tended to work with the rif raft i knew would'nt pay us for our work, but now i'm seeing a huge trend of losing work to these bums working under the radar because they're driving market pricing below poverty level and often leaving a wake of chit in their path, so now my eye's are constantly peeled looking for unmarked trucks with tools sitting out/material sitting out. i already have all the local building departments #'s on speed dial for inspection call in's, and i'm not hesitant one bit to place a call to shut a jobsite down and make sure the HO and/or hack get fined double and then have the job rakded through the coals and gone over with a fine tooth comb from that point on....i hang out with a hand full of local inspectors and they LOVE it when they snag people like this, and say they make it their mission to find every little deviation of code to nail'em on to make life miserable.

The inspectors know how the game works and how the hacks ruin it for the rest of us, so they're all for shutting them down too:clap::clap:

·
Residential Remodeler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not anonymous

Thanks for everyone's comments. I called the inspections office, turned in the guys and stop work orders were posted. Apparently one of the home owners called the inspections office and the inspector gave him my name. Now I have a pissed off home owner calling me.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Now I have a pissed off home owner calling me.
Who says you have to answer the phone?

To go one step further, let the HO they are bordering on harassment...and depending on the actual context of the call, maybe even terrorism ~ yup...the Big "T".

Let them know: Ya mess with the bull, ya get the horns.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
That I can't figure out. I don't want to have to be looking over my shoulder!
Some municipalities adhere to the Freedom of Information Act and an accused persons right to face their accuser.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Can't resist presenting the contrary side, which is: Whose house is this anyway? It's the HO's. It's called private property. To do with as he pleases. His house is not your business. What he does with his house is not your business. Or we might as well just invite the commies to come run the place.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Can't resist presenting the contrary side, which is: Whose house is this anyway? It's the HO's. It's called private property. To do with as he pleases. His house is not your business. What he does with his house is not your business. Or we might as well just invite the commies to come run the place.
bingo :thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I believe in reporting these violations within my own profession. But one thing we need to remember is that such reporting is OUR CHOICE. And we would be naive to think that we may not incur the wrath of that homeowner and/or builder. There are consequences to our actions, whether we feel those actions to be justified or not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts