Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Yea, here is what you do to get around it.

Stop paying taxes, only accept cash payments, pay all of your employees in cash, and then try and 1099 them at the end of the year saying they are subs.

Always have the homeowner pull the permit.

Oh yea, and ad on your business card "Certified Hack".

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I just checked out your website - you are worrying about a $700 expense when it looks like some of the basements on your site probably ran about $20-$40k to complete.

Either you are super cheap, super dumb, or they aren't your pictures. I hope everyone chews you up alive and flames you off of not only this thread but the entire forum.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
All i think the OP is trying to do is stay competative in this "new market" where all in.

I would just recommend getting a deposit and forget the people ever existed, i would'nt waste another brain cell worrying how to work illegally and unprofessionally...that is what most of your competition does already...deposit and ditch:thumbup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Homeowner pays for the permits
That's what I was going to say. It's not uncommon for a customer to say "no permits", there are various reasons for this, so in such cases I just include language in the contract like "permits and inspections responsibility of owner".

·
Registered
318 Posts
A plumber and electrician should be doing the work unless you happen to hold those licenses which obviously you don't. I have never had a plumber or electrician charge me any extra to fill in their information on the permit application. As far as the cost of the permit that's all passed on to the consumer. As far as pulling a permit that is also a part of being a legit contractor. If you want to avoid this cost please see post numbers 2,4,6,7, & 8.

Zinzco,
I don't know how it works out their where you are at, but where I am putting language in your contract making the permit the responsibility of the homeowner does not allow you to perform the work without a permit being issued. If you do then you (along with the homeowner) run the risk of fines and possible disciplinary action from the board of contractors. Furthermore if intent to break the law can be proven it could invalidate your contract and make you subject to possible legal recourse.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Zinzco,
I don't know how it works out their where you are at, but where I am putting language in your contract making the permit the responsibility of the homeowner does not allow you to perform the work without a permit being issued. If you do then you (along with the homeowner) run the risk of fines and possible disciplinary action from the board of contractors. Furthermore if intent to break the law can be proven it could invalidate your contract and make you subject to possible legal recourse.

I hear where you're coming from, but that is not the case here. The property owner is ultimately responsible for work done on their property. There is no law that says *I* have to obtain the permit.

Cheers.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
:eek:.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The added expense of pulling a permit to do a basement finish is around $700. The permit cost around $300, and it cost at least $400 to get a master electrician and plumber to pull the other permits. Does anybody have a good system to get around this?
To get around it? Yeah, that's easy. You add up all the permit fees, bonds, etc., & include that with your quote to the HO.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Tell them what the charges are for getting back dated permits & inspections are when they try to sell
I was working on a job where the HO requested no permit, and the GC was stupid enough to put a dumpster in the driveway (code enforcement officer magnet) as well as his yard signs out.

Needless to say the job got shut down, they checked all the sub licenses including mine. All was fine in that regard, but they doubled his permit fees.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Well, let's put it this way KC. I am going under the assumption that it is required that you need a permit to do what you are planning to do. And you are questioning if you can get away with not pulling one, I mean, what harm could that possibly do, right?

It's called integrity. Or in your case, the lack there of.

·
Dave from Macatawa
277 Posts
what about risk management. If you pulled a permit and passed all inspections then you will have "partners" if there is a problem down the road. Also, what about filing liens or proceeding with a suit for not getting paid? in these tough times you always have to think about how or if you are going to get paid. tough to go to court w/o permit.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
This thread is talking about how to do something illegal and is now closed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.