Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys doing about the city strike in regards to permits? I have a permit necessary job coming up and I'm not sure what to do. It's a deck that would probably get done just fine without a permit, but the HO has a disgruntled neighbour who likes to rat on people. The city ceased issuing permits last week and this strike looks like it could go on for a few more at least.

Do I just go ahead with the drawings and take pictures and videos of the whole process and hope that suffices?

All inspectors are on strike as well.

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Where's the management? The managers usually don't have to comply with rank and file walkouts. Call the Mayors office and see what he/she tells you to do. I can't imagine any government office being able to slow local progress totally without having voters and taxpayers to answer to.:)

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Ontario will allow you to have an independant inspection (Read: Engineer) review and sign off, cost is going to more than the permit itself, but keeps you working.

I did this many a times when I was ready for footings on a Saturday and inspectors were not working, I would have a local engineer review, take a few pictures and forward a letter of acceptance to the building department.

The only thing the engineer cannot sign off on is final inspections, they must be performed by the city for some unknown reason.

That being said, you could get the job done and when the bureaucrats get organized and back to work you will be ready for the final, the client can still use his deck. Offer him a small retention until final is completed, say the value of the permit you will eventually get.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Darn strikes, eh? Hope it doesn't last as long as Windsor. They've been out 11 weeks now. From the Toronto City Hall's website, and also from a bulletin that circulated our office (I'm outside of Toronto but we have many clients who work in Hogtown):
Construction / Demolition without the Benefit of a Permit
The Building Code Act provides that no person shall construct or demolish a building or cause a building to be constructed or demolished unless a permit has been issued therefore by the chief building official.
Should it come to the attention of Toronto Building that construction or demolition has proceeded during the labour disruption without the benefit of a permit, Toronto Building will issue Orders or take whatever enforcement action it deems necessary immediately following the completion of the labour disruption including but not limited to requiring that a permit be applied for and obtained, requiring reports from qualified professionals / persons certifying that the construction complies with the Ontario Building Code and any other applicable law, and/or possibly requiring the removal of the construction.
We've been led to believe that they will use common sense. If you would have qualified for the permit and all your work done during the strike without a permit is up to code, etc., then they'll issue you the late permit that they would have issued you on time if there was no strike, and no harm no foul. But if you start work on a project and then it is determined that they never would have given you a permit in the first place or they would have required plan changes to conform to code, etc., they will make you renovate or even demolish what you've already done. Use your judgment and experience and if you feel sure that you're good to go, then proceed. If you think they might have made you move that addition inside the property line by an extra foot, then you better think twice.

Here's the link to the city's website: http://www.toronto.ca/labour-relations/index.htm

(P.S. - Don't you just love Canadian multi-culturalism? If you want, you can also read the above webpage in 20 different languages including Arabic, Farsi, Korean, Russian, Spanish and of course French. It makes me think of Beverly Hills Cop (III?) where Eddie Murphy pulls up to the front of the B.H. police dept. and has a hassle with the automated operator regarding what extension to press and what language to use.)
Happy Canada Day !:party:

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
:blink: I thought our permits offices here where everyone is on a different code book year and different ways to get through plan review some permits for bath remodel are 120 some are 685:blink: just paid the latter for new job. :thumbup::blink:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Chris, we're doing a couple right now. The owners didn't want to wait. We're just taking pix of the holes with tape measures in them, and then building according to the permit already issued. Not too worried about it.

·
General Contractors
67 Posts
You cant get there from here

We've been led to believe that they will use common sense.
Here's the link to the city's website: http://www.toronto.ca/labour-relations/index.htm

(P.S. - Don't you just love Canadian multi-culturalism? If you want, you can also read the above webpage in 20 different languages including Arabic, Farsi, Korean, Russian, Spanish and of course French. It makes me think of Beverly Hills Cop (III?) where Eddie Murphy pulls up to the front of the B.H. police dept. and has a hassle with the automated operator regarding what extension to press and what language to use.)
Happy Canada Day !:party:
I have been dealing with the Cities for decades, they do not understand Common Sense, they understand "Liability" hense Bill C124

1 - 8 of 8 Posts