Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of things.

Permacolor's destructions used to say to mix with 2 quarts of water. It was so soupy, I could hardly get it to stay on my grout float for walls. But the final results were ok on walls and floors.

Today it was nice and cool, so I decided to do some grouting. I'm supposed to be able to do 259 square feet on 8x8 tile with 1/8" joints, and I got close to that. The tile was a crossville cross sheen, so the surface lent itself well to grouting.

The destructions now say to use 2 quarts to 2 1/4 quarts. It looked plenty dry with 2 quarts, so I added another cup.

I make sure I shut down all air flow when I'm grouting. I close the doors and windows, turn off all fans and shut down the AC or HVAC fan or whatever.

I found the destructions produce good results. I find it difficult to spread 25 lbs of grout in 30 minutes, but I come back asap and clean off the tile as instructed. I think only a rough cleaning is necessary at this point. I think this separates the cement off the top and enables you to get it clean later.

I'm using the Barwalt bucket system and my goal is to have full joints and to "finish" them nicely. This means I want them smooth, not with a bunch of streaks or lines across them. The barwalt bucket system helps me a lot.

Then I come back later and finish the clean up. I find that any grout left on the surface comes off easily enough. The deal is to wet the surface first and give it some time to soften up. I scrub small areas with my fingers.

My question to you guys is what do you do during your first (initial) clean up when you come to areas which aren't completely full?

I have the k2 knee pads and my bucket castors don't dig in. I wear som crocs, so my toes are nice and rounded. I'm doing my best not to screw up the joints as I go along. But inevitable I run into areas where I need a bit more grout. I also still have pinholes here and there.

I keep a bit of grout back and I pull that bucket along with me and float some more into the problem areas and clean it up immediately as I go. I will also take a bit on a finger to fill in a spot.

I could see having a side saddle on the barwalt bucket for my grout float and a bit of grout.

What is everyone else doing?

By the way, I'm happy to do a full batch at once. I had about 65 degrees there and I wet the floor first. I wouldn't do more than a half batch if the temp was above 75.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I run Barwalt grout buckets but I do not use the casters, instead I use 12x16" mini dollys and keep the blob of grout and a utility knife on the dolly.
The casters pull out of holes in the bottom of the bucket

Attachments

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember you talking about the dollys before. I have 3 of them but they all have very heavy stuff on them. I suppose I could break down and buy another. Is your grout float on there as well, or are you using your fingers? What is the utility knife for? It might be good for me to keep a sharp one nearby in case the floor gets away from me. Then I can just slit my throat and bleed out right there!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I keep a utility knife just in case there is a joint that may have a bit of mortar sticking, I use G-TEC gloves for everything now. While My knuckles still look like camel knees, my hands stay in much better shape. even when I am using my fingers to spread grout.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
What is the utility knife for? It might be good for me to keep a sharp one nearby in case the floor gets away from me. Then I can just slit my throat and bleed out right there!
First and only time I used this grout, I thought I'd spread the shower walls in my normal way- entire back wall (5x8). The weather was hot. Wow, what a mistake! Worked my butt off trying to wash it. Luckily, I had a white scrubby to breakdown the surface grout.

The utility knife was a thought, too. :laughing:

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
First and only time I used this grout, I thought I'd spread the shower walls in my normal way- entire back wall (5x8). The weather was hot. Wow, what a mistake! Worked my butt off trying to wash it. Luckily, I had a white scrubby to breakdown the surface grout.

The utility knife was a thought, too. :laughing:
Permacolor? Are you thinking of Spectralock? How hot are we talking?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It must be fate. I used Permacolor yesterday(material supplied by builder) on a small backsplash.

Still so-so about it. It's not friendly if you grout vertical surfaces. Soupy,loose grout drips off the float. And the joints stay soft for a long time.

I did wet the tile slightly but it was a smooth surface anyway. After the 1/2 hour wait, I cleaned the surface to about 95% with no problem. But I couldn't wait the 3 hours more so I go back today for final clean up and caulk.

My recollection of my first Permacolor attempt, I didn't mix it as loose because it was a wall. It set fast on the tile surface but the joints were still very soft. I dug out quite a few joints scrubbing the tile. Also, the room temp was probably about 90+ with no air flow.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bag used to say 2 quarts of water. It now says 2 1/4 quarts. Even with 2 1/4, I don't think it is as loose as it used to be. They have changed something.

Seriously, I used to put a trowel full on my grout float to do a wall, and it was dripping off.

Yesterday I did another 250 square feet, and I finished it off an hour later (it takes me an hour to spread 250 square feet) by using a not so clean sponge and concentrating on finishing the joints nicely. This way (dirty sponge) I get a slurry going.

Then I had some visitors and when I went back for the final clean, it had set up quite a bit and I needed scratch pads to get it off. I got 1/2 of it cleaned off and finished the second half this morning with a razor scraper and scratch pads.

I don't mind a bit of work to get a nice finished product.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,643 Posts
The bag used to say 2 quarts of water. It now says 2 1/4 quarts. Even with 2 1/4, I don't think it is as loose as it used to be. They have changed something.

Seriously, I used to put a trowel full on my grout float to do a wall, and it was dripping off.

Yesterday I did another 250 square feet, and I finished it off an hour later (it takes me an hour to spread 250 square feet) by using a not so clean sponge and concentrating on finishing the joints nicely. This way (dirty sponge) I get a slurry going.

Then I had some visitors and when I went back for the final clean, it had set up quite a bit and I needed scratch pads to get it off. I got 1/2 of it cleaned off and finished the second half this morning with a razor scraper and scratch pads.

I don't mind a bit of work to get a nice finished product.

It may be a slight issue with humidity. They also may have made some changes to it because awhile back there were plenty of batches where pebbles would form after mixing.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I had some visitors and when I went back for the final clean, it had set up quite a bit and I needed scratch pads to get it off. I got 1/2 of it cleaned off and finished the second half this morning with a razor scraper and scratch pads.

That a huge negative for me. Using a scratch pad and razor scraper adds to the work and costs. But I think it depends on how well you do the first wash. Don't leave a lot on the surface.

My small backsplash did come out nice after the 2nd wash.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Honestly it's an easy grout to work with but the quantity on the instructions turns out a little loose. I float, tool, let it set and give it a final wipe down, then buff the next day.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was taught to tool it with a sponge.

Problem I have is that when I use my barwalt sponge, I can wipe it clean the first time. It is difficult to go through all the work of tooling when I know I can just wipe clean small areas with each sponge swipe and be done much faster and easier.

I'm not sure the tooling gives me a better grout joint and I'm pretty sure I rake out more grout this way.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I was taught to tool it with a sponge.

Problem I have is that when I use my barwalt sponge, I can wipe it clean the first time. It is difficult to go through all the work of tooling when I know I can just wipe clean small areas with each sponge swipe and be done much faster and easier.

I'm not sure the tooling gives me a better grout joint and I'm pretty sure I rake out more grout this way.
Don't put so much pressure on the sponge unless you want a concave joint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts