Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install perlins for a pergoal and they need to be 18' 4". My lumber yard said they would cost a pretty penny for them to get the pt company to make 2 x 2 x 20'. Any other ideas on what to do? Should I just take 8' and just have splices over the rafters?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any chance of you making them yourself? The couple of pergolas I have worked on we cut all perlins in our shop.

I'm just not that sure that splicing them would hold up in the long term.

What material are you making them out of?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you talk about making them myself you mean ripping a 20' 2x to 1.5 inches wide?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Just splice them over rafters. It's pressure treated. It will look like crap at the end of the summer anyway.:no:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Ok, first there is no problem getting PT 20' long. Now get a rip guide for your skillsaw (wormdrive ) Rip the 2x lumber to the 1 1/2" and brush on the pt stain.

Done, piece of cake :thumbsup:

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
I need to install perlins for a pergoal and they need to be 18' 4". My lumber yard said they would cost a pretty penny for them to get the pt company to make 2 x 2 x 20'. Any other ideas on what to do? Should I just take 8' and just have splices over the rafters?
8' and 12' pickets (2x2)with breaks. 8 and 12 should be perfect unless your framing layout doesn't quite fit the numbers, then 2 - 12' pickets per run.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
Those 2x2 PT purlins will twist like a worm waiting to be put on a hook...:whistling

use Redwood or Cedar...:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts