Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tattoo, my Grandfather talked to himself all the time. He told me there are 2 reasons a man talks to himself. 1) He likes talking to an intelligent man and 2) he likes to hear an intelligent man speak.

RWA, my grandfather always told me talking to yourself is fine but when you start to answer yourself, you're really in trouble then... ;)

As for the question at hand, I prefer working alone. It makes it a lot easier to find the zone with no distractions. I also work without a radio. I find it helps me to concentrate on the task at hand and allows me to focus on what is coming next. You know, kind of like playing chess; always planning at least five moves ahead.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Since their is no room in my truck cab for another person :thumbup: I mostly work by myself. However, occasionally when I need help I'll set up someone in that trade to come and give me a hand. Or sub out the bigger stuff.:party:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This thread reminds me of another type of person i have worked with. The "WHY DID YOU DO IT THAT WAY" kind of helper. I have always tried to be a patiant teacher with my guys, but explaining every step gets old real fast, GMOD

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,047 Posts
The "WHY DID YOU DO IT THAT WAY" kind of helper.
When I first started working in this field, I was one of those. Drove the guys right up the wall and through the roof.

But they came to accept it when they realized that as long as they were willing to explain, they only had to do so once. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
ornamental plasterer
1,441 Posts
Me and my partner are some sort family related and work hand in hand many years. We know what to expect from each other, know each others strong and weak points. I think we depend on each other.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,087 Posts
I work alone a lot. Mostly in my shop. When I go out in the field for a full install of a kitchen or other job with larger cabinets I prefer help. I have 2 guys that I like to work with in the field. Both over 50, one over 60. Both of them are pretty much in sync with me.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
when im trimming i like working alone yet working with another guy, most of the houses i work on right now are large renos. we either split up and tackle a room our self or do seperate tasks, only time when working directly together is when ripping on the table saw or assembling large custom closet units.

the guy im working with right now luckily has alot of the same methods as i do so we know what each other is thinking most of the time. the only bad thing about working with him is getting caught up in his caffine addiction... i havent been this sleep deprived in december since i was 8 years old waiting for the fatguy in the suit to arrive

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I like a bit of both. In the shop working on stuff - alone.

On the job doing trim work or detail work - alone.

On the job doing demo, framing, drywall, tile, etc, - its nice to have an "apprentice"

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
Prefer working alone myself, especially when planning out circuits and switches for a reno.

When I need help shoring up a wall, reading framing for a LB partition change or even planning a simple re-header, I always prefer a guy who has the muscles to help, but only questions the methods in an educational manner as opposed to a WTF are you doing it that way for manner.

I save my chatting for you guys:thumbup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I work alone when I drive the dump truck or pick up equipment. On a daily basis I need a helper to load machines on trailer, chain them down, all the shovel work, all the gofer work, jack hammer, saw cutting and anything that I don't want, to dirty, and to hard to do.

When I am in the shop doing maintenance or repair I do that alone. I have had days that just require machine work and no hand work that I will do alone. I hate to have a guy standing around all day watching me work because he has nothing to do.

I have spent 5 years training a guy that can now do a lot of this type of work. When I hired him he had a hard time starting the plate tamper, backing up the truck, or chaining a machine to the trailer. He was and is a hard worker though and would do what ever I asked no question asked so I kept him around.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts