Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of times over the years i have been fortunate enough to work with another carpenter who just Clicked with me. How good is it to produce with another carpenter, listening to tunes, bull****ting, and most of the job discussion does not happen because each guy is on the same page. Then there is the beauty of working alone, creating all the jigs to make up for not having four hands, alone with your thoughts, doing it your way, with nothing or no one to consider, what do you prefer, GMOD.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I have been more hands off this year due to the increase in the volume of my business, so I spent more time supervising than doing, but last week both of my guys needed time off so I strapped the belt back on.

I forgot how nice it can be to just work alone and not having to tell other people what to do. Granted, doing heavy work sucks alone, but things like building stairs or light framing are pleasant alone.

That being said, one of my guys is just a real nice guy and I don't mind working next to him because we can talk about "guy stuff" like motors, tools, and guns while we work. :)

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
over the years i also had some great parteners,but i work mainly alone now,ive got a buddy who's a great mechanic and we hook up from time to time if somebody needs a hand

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
over the years i also had some great parteners,but i work mainly alone now,ive got a buddy who's a great mechanic and we hook up from time to time if somebody needs a hand
Tom and I have worked on projects at the same time so we aren't technically working together, but we are on site simultaneously doing our own thing.

Sometimes that's a nice way to work too. The only problem we have is that we end up BSing more than working!:laughing:

·
Banned
538 Posts
i like working with other people just as long as they shut the f up when its thinking time. if i'm doing something that doesnt require alot of thinking then i enjoy the company. but when its time for us to think and get serious it gets annoying, i dont want to talk to you all day. also i dislike people who constantly try to bust your balls all day. i worked with a guy who would do that non stop all day long. all i could think about was accidently throwing my hammer at him.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I had the pleasure of working with a 40 year finish carpenter for 9 months. We really worked well together, because not everything was finish and sometimes I was actually able to show him a trick or 2......Wow did I really learn alot, mostly about where my skills were.

We did our bull sessions during coffee and lunch...work was work.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've always liked having one good hand to work with,I like to to do the difficult(fun) stuff,and leave the tedious work for my assistant.

My current assistant has been with me for over four years. He is very independent.
We do our BSing on the way to the jobs.At work we don't talk much except about work.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I've had some great working relationships through the years and it is nice to be on the same page with the same game plan in mind without having to explain the next step in what your doing. I have also had the kind of help that Freemason was referring to that would not shut the funk up.
Nothing in the world worse than trying to lay out stairs or walls with somebody yapping their trap with meaningless conversation.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Been back to working mostly solo,but I do tie up with another friend for larger jobs.
He's a real commedian,and a master of off the cuff one liners, that will get you thinking WTF ,as well as a talented builder and finish man.
Makes the day go by a lot faster.
We've worked together enough to know each others strong points and don't butt heads much.
Always good to have good company on some jobs.

He once stood outside a local pub while a parade was passing ,greeting passerby's with his best Pirate impression,while he had tied his leg back to his thigh and strapped a toilet plunger to his knee.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Tattoo, my Grandfather talked to himself all the time. He told me there are 2 reasons a man talks to himself. 1) He likes talking to an intelligent man and 2) he likes to hear an intelligent man speak.
That's good! I'll have to remember that next time I screw up. Usually, I tell myself how stupid I am :)

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I prefer working alone...

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
How good is it to produce with another carpenter, listening to tunes, bull****ting, and most of the job discussion does not happen because each guy is on the same page.
Totally sweet. :thumbsup:

OTOH, it's just as good, albeit with a tad different flavor, working all by yourself with a challenging yet conquerable set of ...uh, challenges.

If I had my druthers, I'd probably go about 50/50.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah I found through my years on the job (not so much anymore) that having a good partner/workmate ect... is the way. I agree with the shut up factor too, however all the good partners I had this was natural and alot just didnt need to be said you just knew what to expect from each other. BS when it is time, shut up and get to it when it's time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts