Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished a very large project that was estimated for 1 coat of stain on the house, deck planks, spindals, garage, shed, brick, soffits, gutters/downspouts, etc, etc...

We ran into a few problems with the deck planks needing two/three coats and the new garage needing 2 coats.

We spoke with the owners and let them know that certain areas may need two coats of paint and they said okay.

My issue now is how much extra should I charge them. Would you recommend cost per hour/materials? The estimating program I've began using suggest a percent of the quanity of space for 2nd/3rd?

I was thinking for the 2nd/3rd coats adding 50% additional cost per area that needed the coat. Is this to much? Our original estimate was for 1 coat at the cost of $5937.50, with adding the extra percent its up to $6800.00.

I'm mailing the estimate tomorrow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jason,
Since the job is already complete, you should have the data as to how long the job actually took. Compare this to your budget for man hours and material. See how this jives with actual hours. See if the percent matches the estimating guides that you looked at. This will provide 2 things, 1. Data for you to keep for future jobs. 2. Data to show the client to support your additional increase. If your pricing your extras from an insecure position (not really sure what it cost you) your client will know. Price from confidence!

Good luck,
Brian
http://www.yourcostcenter.com/

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why do some areas need 2 coats?...3 coats??? If some areas seem "thinner" or more flat and you put on 2 coats, then the rest may look flatter. I'd only put 2 coats on whole sides of a building..south and west sides get 2 coats...east and north may get away with 1. Do one deck board and you'll do 'em all. Spindles you'll get away with.....just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We actually ran into that kind of problem you are addressing above. I had someone trim out the deck-to-house and around the 4x4s and he applied a double coat. That basically required 2 coats on the entire project. But a 3rd coat was required for several reasons;

First, the deck was pieced together over years and years. So they actually used different types of wood over different periods. (their builder was an idiot)

Second, portions of the deck were actually walked on/housed down with water by a friend of theirs after my first day of coats (first/second) which left water marks and foot marks on the wet paint. (This couple was on ragbri in Iowa)

Finally, the exposure was just that much different over the scope of the project. It was a huge amount of space.

Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts