Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been approached to build one of the nicest chimney's I have yet to get my hands on, in a long time anyhow, maybe ever. It will be 9'6" half in the house half outside of the house.

Its a thin stone job which for the size of it, 36' tall as well, I dont mind. Im not really one to enjoy going to the same job for months on end.

So the owners showed me a picture of a fireplace they have currently and they absolutely love it.

It is absolutely not the kind of stone I think looks good.

Do you all ever just build what they want even though its very fred flintstone?

This is the second amazing chimney that has come my way this summer and both of them have the same kind of "rural" stone masonry. The other one is a log cabin, so we will see where that ends up.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
Do you want the job or not?

If I can do so without offending, I'll try to talk them into something more my style. But when push comes to shove, it's their money and their taste. I'll only refuse if it just won't work or is illegal.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point.

I send over some pretty stuff lets see if I can get the wheels turning.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I install stuff I hate all the time (notice how I haven't put up any pics in a long time). I have my taste and others have theirs, that's why there are so many different types of materials out there.

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
Happened to me this week...had the buyer of this custom that I am doing tell me that I was laying the stone too "flat and smooth", they don't want me to straighten it up at all. Looks like total dog crap to me but they love it, I also won't be posting any pics of it

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
you confused me:

you stated it was one of the "nicest" you have seen.

then you say it's not what you would do.

I do things that I would put into my own home.

Because of style, color etc.

Customers are always right.

especially if they're check has cleared my bank.:thumbup:

·
DAVE
7 Posts
I've done some weird color combinations and abnormal jobs to say the least. Three things I have learned over the years. 1. Don't push a homeowner to change a decision they are comfortable with (Chance is they have thought about the project as much as you have). 2. Don't "badmouth" previous work (its possible the homeowners deceased grandfather used drywall nails to frame that window!) 3. If the homeowner is happy, you have done your job right.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you confused me:

you stated it was one of the "nicest" you have seen.

then you say it's not what you would do.
Its the nicest chimney job for the most part. Could be featured in any number of magazines if done a certain way. Perhaps may even still be if I can skate around large grey mortar joints....

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I have many customers who special order brass electrical fixtures since they feel they are just "lovely".

If they think so, then I think so too.:laughing:

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
I'm happier when I build stuff that I believe looks good and is well-built. Stuff that I'm happy to have associated with myself and my name. Ultimately, it is the customers decision--it's their house. But if they want nonsense, I'll often walk. I think back...the top 3 worst PITA customers I've ever had all wanted tacky nonsense, which I built for them, cause they were paying.

yeah, I refuse a lot of work. But I'm an "artist"....and have no kids....and upward economic mobility is not my only motivation. I want to create an awesome portfolio. I do not want to take on jobs that compromise my integrity as a craftsman. Lifes too short--I want to love what I do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts