Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You gotta land one of them NBA clients and you can Pimp one out like a zebra. :laughing:
That would be a riot.

I saw Russell Simmons today at Home Depot. Does that count?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
That first one looks like it is to much deck for the house...that green serenaded ceder shingle siding is from the 50s...;)

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I really like the looks of those TT decks, but I hate that step coming out the door. It seems like a big drop. I try to keep my decks either just under the threshold, or a 1 step down. If I have to go with a intermediate step, I make it bigger then ususal. More like a landing.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like the looks of those TT decks, but I hate that step coming out the door. It seems like a big drop. I try to keep my decks either just under the threshold, or a 1 step down. If I have to go with a intermediate step, I make it bigger then ususal. More like a landing.
Yeah...it's a weird detail. We were fighting for space on the deck and space on the patio. Plus, they wanted the deck lower for privacy reasons since it's a busy street.

Without room for a true 3' landing, I think you have to make a typical 11" tread otherwise it's a weird step.

·
4,617 Posts
You do beautiful work, Greg. There is no doubt about that. I even like the looks of the treated piers and beam you can see in the first picture.

Rest assured that we rarely if ever see the quality of workmanship you put into your decks here in the south. Almost every deck I look at over 3 feet off the ground scares me around here.

I looked at a three story deck that was only two years old the other day, and the beam to pier/post interface holding the second story up were 3" 15ga finish nails. They just butted the beam up to the side of the 4x6 post and shot it in with about 8 nails.

So don't let anyone tell you, your work isn't first rate.

Oh, and that step looks dopey.:w00t:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts