Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I priced a small bathroom job ,cut as much as I could to get it. Basicly no
profit at all,covered labor and material is it.I didnt hear from them at all.
Found out last nite "really good sorce" that somebody gave a number that is less than half of my bid. I cant see it as the mateial alone is almost that number. I can only assume this is a non-licenced, non-insured guy.Probably won't get a permit either.I'm getting sick of this chit goin on lately.
Has enyone ever tipped off the local building official to check this out.
Thinking I want to. Or should I just walk away.

Really Peeved

Steve D

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Steve, i usually move on, but thats just me, i always think i am more productive looking forward and not staying angry. That being said, you could probably have that job shut down, might feel good , but there is a line of uninsured hacks ready to go, and a bunch of people ready to hire them. Good luck, GMOD

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I just went through the same deal. Had a call to give a price for a remodel in a local restaurant. Cut the profit margin to the bone. Mainly to keep my help working and to pay the overhead thats stacking up. Never heard another word from the restaurant owner but drove by Sunday and saw the work going on.

I don't know the price they agreed on but I know if I had gotten the job I wouldn't have made much at all. Jobs like that I'm not too sorry to have missed.
Chalk it up and go on.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
"What we’ve got here is "failure to communicate". Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men..."

there's my .01

to hear what I really think, it'll cost you

·
Banned
204 Posts
I have been pricing a ton of stuff the last week and keep getting the" OHHHH we god bids of half that" same ol same. OS I go by one last week and a WELL KNOWN "handyman" is doing the job So I called and dropped a dime to the inspector. She went by there that day and shut them down. HO goes to pull a permit yesterday and they would not let them cause they were not doing the work, SO SHE CALLS ME TODAY and asked if I would pull it and they would "Make it worth my wild" I told YES I would love to do that for BUT I have to take over the job and finish it at the price I quoted them. BOY ol BOY did she get mad.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Found out last nite "really good sorce" that somebody gave a number that is less than half of my bid. I cant see it as the mateial alone is almost that number. I can only assume this is a non-licenced, non-insured guy.Probably won't get a permit either.I'm getting sick of this chit goin on lately.

Really Peeved

Steve D

Oh the irony.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
A piece of advice a great friend gave me years ago:
"everytime you get even, you get even worse"

This is always easier said than done...

·
Registered
412 Posts
She really can't think that you'd take on that liability, especially when you know she is going to break the law. I took out a permit for a friend once and while he did everything legal (he didn't do any of the work, and got only licensed and insured people) I always thought I was a little foolish for doing it, and i was on the job most of the time.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Really Peeved

Steve D

Why do some guys get mad about not getting a job they never had a chance of getting? That job was never yours because the HO is a price only shopper. You never had a shot at it. Bidding jobs that you don't have a chance of getting is where this went wrong. Unless you are playing the price only game, you never had a chance of getting that job.

Any job that doesn't have any profit in it is most likely going to loose money. Especially when the bid is cut to the bone like you said it was. How can you get upset about not loosing money?

Price only HOs are a pita and not worth changing a light bulb for. They will never be happy because they are by their very cheap nature, unrealistic. They actually think they will get the quality of a higher priced bid with the low price. Who in their right mind wants to get involved with that kind of nut job?

A price only HO has a red flag rating of 35. I looked it up in my Red Flag Rating guide to HOs. That's enough to walkaway smiling. Meanwhile the hack that got the job, and the HO, are going to really drive each other nuts. They deserve each other. I'd be thankful some hack got that job. The HO will put him out of business in a very painful manner. That kind of HO will never hire a legit contractor.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Paint dude, Employee or employer?

Licensing laws are actually getting tougher. To get one as well as enforcement. That may be viewed as just a way for cities and towns to get more revenue, but I would bet there are far more trades people than inspectors in every town.
So if you think the licensed & trained trades have a bad rep, what do think is going to happen when the apprentices and HO's take over. Think the inspectors will go away.

What the "walk away" people are saying is that you can spend your time getting upset and call them in, or put it towards something positive for the future

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
There are many in the USA that can pass the exams and are willing to do the work for a good deal less that you. But you have laws that protect you........not to mention the low wage apprentice (who actually works while you do business, errrr golf).......in time these laws will be and need to be changed to allow fair competition
May be somewhat valid points in some cases, but..
It really doesn't take much to learn plumbing or electrical work to pick on just two trades. Seems most of you are not that good at these trades. After all that is why they have inspectors because of your reputation of not doing things correctly in the first place!
I need to find the popcorn! :shutup:

Seriously, I think you best cross all your t's and do your best. Her being mad at you does not sound like a good situation to be in.

Gonna have to undo anything the prior guy did and start anew so as to not have to held liable for something he did? I'm thinking possible leaks, broken toilet, etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
You are not alone in your frustration of wasting time with these types.

Keep looking for the good clients. There are tons of them out there who appreciate legitimacy and are willing to pay for it.

Unfortunately, we have to stomp through a few like you described to get to them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts