Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted a question in the (gasp!) painting section about this post. They took it easy on me, especially Gene, Leo, and Chris. I learned some things about finish, I can guarantee that.

I had a local kitchen design center approach me about this job. "It is a small job and I thought of you" kind of jobs. She has existing Cherry cabinets that have been there for 10 years. She's replacing the laminate countertops with granite. The granite people said "need support for that beast" and they brought in the expert.

I figured I am not going to make much money on this anyway, so I'll do the absolute best job I can and see if I can blow them away. The HO wanted a footrest. The original was made by the HO's husband. Not too bad for a complete novice. She wanted something much nicer.

I actually went to the lumber yard, the one with ROUGH sawn and planed it down. I'm glad I had some test pieces to try to match up. I think I got close. It's already starting to darken on me, which I anticipated. I went a little light and expect it to darken into what she has there. You can see the quarter round on the base is much lighter than the post. It is the exact finish to the post. I expect it 100% to darken into the post color.

The square black support piece came from my 2nd cousin who lives 1/2 mile from me. He works at a machine shop and they had a piece of 1/2" thick aluminum just sitting there doin' nuthin'. $100.

Last night, I made the 3/4" quarter round. I started at 7 PM and finished it this morning. Adds the nice touch to it I think. I had fun with this. I enjoy this type of work. Hopefully more is coming!

Originals

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Last night, I made the 3/4" quarter round. I started at 7 PM and finished it this morning.
That's a lot of time to make some quarter round. :laughing: It looks good Framerman. I read some of the thread in the paint section and I'm not sure if the following suggestion was made.

When we need to do a color match on cherry we will pre-tan a piece - set out in direct sunlight for an hour or two. Sometimes starting with a darker sample makes all the difference. :thumbsup:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice job. Well done. It doesn't have to be fancy to be classy...

What's with the baseboard?
I know....I know....It's a baseboard heater cover. They took out the heating part, but the copper pipe is still there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts