Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product labels on finished surfaces...

I just finished a window project for a friend...I didn't want to be there, PITA etc... so in my finishing details I had to remove the stickers...Low E, packing slips...you know....

Here I am for an hour with a razor blade for an hour scraping 5 windows and cleaning....:censored:

The worst is medicine cabinet shelves that are clear plastic...and finished plumbing fixtures...aaaarrrrggggg!

What does festool offer?:laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
There is a special place in hell for thoes that put stickers on finished surfaces.

A local raceway supplier puts bar-code stickers on the visible part of the product and its the worlds stickyest crap. I'm affraid to use goo-gone for fear that the paint will not adhere to the surface, so then I have to use breakkleen to get the goo-remover off argh!

I feel your pain.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Yeah ive noticed the product name on the window is like a static cling but the low e sticker is like super glued. Stickers on toilet bowls are impossible to alot of times. Sometimes you clean the freaking stickers off and you can still see the outline from it.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Product labels on finished surfaces...

I just finished a window project for a friend...I didn't want to be there, PITA etc... so in my finishing details I had to remove the stickers...Low E, packing slips...you know....

Here I am for an hour with a razor blade for an hour scraping 5 windows and cleaning....:censored:

The worst is medicine cabinet shelves that are clear plastic...and finished plumbing fixtures...aaaarrrrggggg!

What does festool offer?:laughing:
You're not supposed to use razors on Low-E glass

·
Registered
180 Posts
You're not supposed to use razors on Low-E glass
Razors are fine on Low-e glass as long as the low-e is part of an inulated glass unit. The low-e should of been installed toward the middle of the insulated unit. The outside of the glass is not coated unless it has a self clean feature on it.

·
Banned
538 Posts
i worked for a glass guy for about 2 years. so i've seen all kinds of stickers and i always had to take them off. i never once scratched the glass or whatever it was i was taking a sticker off.

the way i was taught to remove stickers is spray commercial glass cleaner on the sticker, let it soak in for about a minute, then take your single edge razor and work it from one corner, once a you have a little bit of the sticker up, spray more glass cleaner on, always going in one direction.

maybe some of you have tried this, maybe some of you havent. if you havent it, give it a try, it never failed me once.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Every once in a while I'll get an acrylic tub surround or shower stall where the label is a real bear to remove, even with alcohol and lacquer thinners. I dont know what they use for adhesive, but I can think of better uses for it.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why on Gods green earth would you label something you can't remove....Honestly...the sticker removal 85% of the time is more difficult than the actual installation...

What's the thought on just leaving the stickers?....after all they are there for the consumer's education..???

Reactions: OGStilts

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
How about a sticker that you are NOT supposed to remove??

I have installed some shower doors from MAAX and they have a nice white sticker they put right on one of the glass panels that says:

Removal voids warranty

I of course always do, cause who wants a white (paper) sticker on the front side of your shower door??

I guess it cuts down on their warranty claims...

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i worked for a glass guy for about 2 years. so i've seen all kinds of stickers and i always had to take them off. i never once scratched the glass or whatever it was i was taking a sticker off.

the way i was taught to remove stickers is spray commercial glass cleaner on the sticker, let it soak in for about a minute, then take your single edge razor and work it from one corner, once a you have a little bit of the sticker up, spray more glass cleaner on, always going in one direction.

maybe some of you have tried this, maybe some of you havent. if you havent it, give it a try, it never failed me once.
Thanks for the tip!! It's still BS to need removal instructions for manufacturer stickers!

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
as i go around checking each new window for proper operation
i peel each label and stick each one to its own piece of printer paper
so the homeowner can save them for future reference or tax purposes

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
as i go around checking each new window for proper operation
i peel each label and stick each one to its own piece of printer paper
so the homeowner can save them for future reference or tax purposes
Your're absolutely right!! I was whining...

In this instance the reciept and window specs were given hard copy to the property owner and advised to take up tax rebates with his accountant.....

documenting the stickers from one window is good practice, but the other 4 or 34 in some cases is tedious! Let alone all the other product labels we deal with throughout the larger projects....

I was just complaining to complain;)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Go to a car dealership and go to the paint shop. Ask the tech's inside what they use to remove bumper stickers. Spray on, wipe off. 5 minutes wait time. 22 bucks a can but worth it in time saved.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I sometimes run into lowes to grab a few copper fittings if I'm working on a sunday or late and the plumbing supply is closed. It seems like just about every elbow or other fitting always has a nice sticker glued on right where it's to be heated up. Unless you buy the contractor packs i guess, but when you only need 1 or 2 fittings, it's not worth it usually.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts