Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Most allow room for the p-trap inside the base.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just wondering if there was a way to run the pipe straight down from the sink drain through the floor instead of into the wall?

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
No P Trap

We have done it before with good results but there are a few codes to get around.

I don't think you can just have it drop straight down into the P Trap. I believe it needs to roll into a horizontal line then the p trap. This slows the speed of the water down so the P trap doesn't empty with the rush of water.

With out the P Trap under the sink snaking can be a problem if the Vent and clean out are not near by and accessible.

I'm sure your plumber can bring you up with the code requirements. If you have to go this route make sure you keep your pipe size as large as possible to give you the most options for lay out and P Trap placement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is for my personal home, (complete remodel) the plumber that is doing the work quickly said no. Its not the end of the world either way, but I like to try and think outside the box. On that note It still needs to function and meet code. I just don't like the "can't be done attitude" It kind of almost seems lazy to me. I think it would look awesome to not see any of the drain or supply lines.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm trying to imagine what is going on here.

Did you have an original drain? Moving fixture?

Installing a pedestal in place of an exsisting usually involves blending in the paint unless they want it side-stepped.

What do I know? I'm just a remodler.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There can be no more than 24" of drop between the fixture outlet and the trap by most of not all plumbing codes.

That said, draining a sink into a p-trap below the floor is a no no.

Your plumber should check the literature that came with the sink. It will have the recommended drain and water line rough-in location.

A chrome p-trap with rigid chrome plated supplies looks nice. Plumbing CAN look nice when done properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts