Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking into getting a program to make pdf's and Adobe is around $200, found another program that is supposed to be compatible with all of the readers called Create 6. I've found this program for only $27 on sale, anybody use it or something similar instead of Adobe?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Use Open Office, which is Free. Google it.

You can create cross compatible PDF's with it no problem. I've done several.

Carl

·
Service Contractor
26 Posts
I want confused a while back when I wanted to make PDFs as well and a tech guy at a supplier I use sumed it up very nicly for me. He said that just about any programe can make a PDF. I use and Office program or pic and just do a "Save As" and choose PDF. I was trying to complicate things a thought I had to purchase the program for a lot of money when all you need is the convertor for the file extention to "Save As" and the computer does all the work for you free. Also if I need to scan in a file I just choose the PDF format to save it as as well. I like the PDF format because it is ledd likly for someone to have the program to make changes to the file. Anyway my .02 worth and I hope it was somewhat helpful.

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
Not just any program can make a PDF. Office 2007 does have a save to PDF plugin available. Many scanning apps can also do it. There are other commercial options for advanced PDF creation like Nitro PDF. Nitro runs about $100, far cheaper than Acrobat. For basic creation needs, I use Doro PDF, which is similar to CutePDF. It basically installs a "printer" on your PC that you can use to print a PDF from virtually any program that can use a printer.

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
When I had to install a new os on this machine after i lost a raid array, i bought just an oem xp cd, with no office suite. i downloaded open office which does everything that MS office i had did. PLUS save as pdf conversion. I often e-mail pdf contracts and invoices to clients. Saves on printer ink.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a search and see that alot of people are using the cutepdf. I am wanting to save Microsoft Office newsletters I've done as pdf's and upload to my website. Will it do that type of stuff too?
It's Office 2003 and no option to save as pdf.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I did a search and see that alot of people are using the cutepdf. I am wanting to save Microsoft Office newsletters I've done as pdf's and upload to my website. Will it do that type of stuff too?
It's Office 2003 and no option to save as pdf.
DL CutePDF or any of the free ones listed above (I have no preference really, but know many architects use the CutePDF), "print" your newsletters, it will ask you to save as a file name, save it, then upload it via ftp to your site. You are on your own from there as to how you want to link the files to your web page.

What I do is I have a directory for all of my pdf files on my site, something like

"www.mysite.com/pdf"

then on the front page, or another page, you put your file name, description, whatever, on that page and link it to the file address.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts