Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not sure if this has been gone over before but trying to replace shaft on sander cant seem to remove center spindle,has lg slot for screwdriver but that aint happening,im on to vise grips and will have to order new spindle any ideas its a nice day thought i would take advantage. Thanks

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure if this has been gone over before but trying to replace shaft on sander cant seem to remove center spindle,has lg slot for screwdriver but that aint happening,im on to vise grips and will have to order new spindle any ideas its a nice day thought i would take advantage. Thanks
I'm thinking I know what your talking about but not 100% sure.

If your looking at the porta cable 7800 sanding wand and trying to remove the threaded washer that holds the hook and loop disc then just twist the black washer off. Can't remember if it's reverse threaded tho.

Might have to spray some liquid wrench or something to get things moving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not the black nut that holds the paper down its that threaded stud in the middle.I took off the sanding head and i think i have to access it from the back side of the head with snap ring pliers

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Its not the black nut that holds the paper down its that threaded stud in the middle.I took off the sanding head and i think i have to access it from the back side of the head with snap ring pliers
Never messed with the original sanding disc. Just loosened the black nut and laid the hook and loop over top, tightened the nut. Been that way for years now.

Actually been thinking of tearing into that head and doing some PM.on it lately. I've been looking for the blow up sketch that came with the unit to know what I'm getting into.... probably next to the extra vac bags for that thing I've been looking for about a week now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PC Shaft Replacement

Well its apart it wasnt pretty but sometimes theirs a learning curve. had to order some more parts so wont be putting it together soon.If your going to change the shaft you just got to take out 2 screws at one end of casing and un screw casing from head.Where it gets a little tricky is when replacing the bearing(which I think they recommend)The Back up Plate comes off by Large screw driver in center shaft and turn the backup plate counter clockwise I think depending on what type you have you can access alot that way.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
elliot said:
Well its apart it wasnt pretty but sometimes theirs a learning curve. had to order some more parts so wont be putting it together soon.If your going to change the shaft you just got to take out 2 screws at one end of casing and un screw casing from head.Where it gets a little tricky is when replacing the bearing(which I think they recommend)The Back up Plate comes off by Large screw driver in center shaft and turn the backup plate counter clockwise I think depending on what type you have you can access alot that way.
My bearing went and I ordered the parts. Last weekend tried taking it apart. After two hours of trying to seperate the head I said screw it. Sold it today on cl for $100 with the parts. New ones are less then $500 so that what's on the truck wed morning. It has given a long life , time for a new one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PC Shaft Replacement

Your Probably right,they ala carte you to death for the parts then throw in the shipping,and time and still not to confident how it all goes back together but so far I think it was just the bearing ,everything I didnt destroy was still good.Just waiting on parts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I've got a repair shop that fixes those things. Don't you guys have anyone that does them?

My younger days I may have tore in to one, but not any more.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Big Shoe said:
I've got a repair shop that fixes those things. Don't you guys have anyone that does them? My younger days I may have tore in to one, but not any more.
Not around here anymore. My expeerice with repair shops around here is when they give a repair price it's only 10% less then buying a new one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replace PC Shaft

There is 2 places around here usually 3 week wait and Gary H is right by the time their done it almost pays to get a new one with all new parts. Besides brushess this is the most major problem I had .Now I can change brushess in no time.So we'll see how this goes back together and if it works

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Big Shoe said:
New ones go for around $375. Right? How much could that repair be?
$85 per hour for shop labor. Plus parts. I was quoted a min of two hours for the repair plus shipping plus parts. A rough total of $200. And my luck once I replace bearing next week the shaft will go or the motor. Just got my new one on the job today.

Technology Electronic device Wire Machine

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PC Shaft Replacement

Got all the parts and the only thing I really needed was the bearing everything else was collateral damage.it's all back together and seams to be working. maybe next time will not have as much of a learning curve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts