Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a couple of older posts about pc problems, I wanted to try and help.

The best thing any of you can do for you business, is to build your own pc. Then you gaurentee the best product. Its not that difficult, I'm in the middle of building my 2nd pc for my wife. Once you get into it, it's like putting together a puzzle. But to build an entire machine, you could have up to 14 hours to complete it.

The problem that you have with you floppy drives or dvd/cd rom drives, is when you buy your pc from a retailer, when your looking at the specs, you see "DVD/RW, 200GB HDD". The problem is with that, they never tell you the brand of the sub component your getting. Its kinda like the difference between Shermin Willaims Cashmere and Dutch Boy paints.

Now I am in now way affiliated with this site, but if you goto www.newegg.com, you can look at all the parts you need to build your own pc, and you can also look at the customer votes for quality for each product.
So in turn you can buy a medium priced part for your pc, or a top line part that will rarley have trouble. ie, you atleast know what your getting.

And the money you save for your 14 hours of labor is incredible.
For example, the 1st pc I built, I spent the money for top of the line components and so I wouldn't have to upgrade for a long time.
I spent a total of 2285.00. Including monitor and laser printer.

I priced the same unit I built, with the same components, with the same monitor and hp laser printer. I went through 3 different pc companies, the lowest price i got was 4092.00 So you see a differance in price to build you own.
Hope this helps some of you.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
What I have found about building your pc is this: Dell can do it for the same price. Yep I've built more computers than I can count and at this very moment I can turn around and look at 3 of them. They are outdated and serve a purpose, but not at the moment. When I bought my Dell I priced out the comp I wanted. It's not top of the line but it's more than powerful enough for my uses. I don't need the newest 5 ghz processor when 3 ghz is still over powered!!! I don't need a 120GB hard drive when my 80 is less than half full!!! Seperate your needs from your wants. LOL if all you use is MS Word and e-mail you can still use a 500 mhz with no problems. :) I truly believe RAM is under rated. I have 512 in my desktop and 256 in my laptop. I am going to buy another 256 chip for my laptop to bring it up to 512.

Anyways, I went to dell configured the computer I wanted, then applied two seperate coupons. One was for 15% off, the other for a free ram AND hard drive upgrade. The deal was so good I bought two computers. Sure if I had bought the computer at full price I'd not have saved a penny, but if you shop educated instead of impulse shooping you'll be all good.

If you buy a computer never fork out the cash for extended warranties. 90% of your problems will be software you some how caused. Viruses, installation of conflicting software, deletion of the wrong files, those are the most common computer problems. Hard ware becomes obsolete before it fails. I've a pile of hard drives literally! Why? Because I can't being myself to throw out a perfectly good 20 GB hard drive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was referring to was the hardware. When you buy that Dell, you dont know the specific component brands until you either get it shipped to you (then its too late), or you ask the sales rep.
In the market of pc hardware there are junk components that pc builders like Dell pick up on. For instance; Celeron. Celeron was a company created to find a market for defective pentium processors. Thats all they are, processors taken off the line for defections. Yet, as you say, for those who dont do their homework, will get what they paid for.
The system that I built 2 years ago, has not had a single harware problem or required any upgrades because I used top of the line components.
That was my point; if you spend the money for a system with top of the line components, and you build it yourself, then price the same system with Dell (with the same exact company components), you will find a large price difference.
You can put a Seagate Barracuda 80 GB HD in you built pc, but ask Dell for the same 80 GB HD, and you wont get a Seagate Barracuda, you'll get a Western Digital, which only has half the life span, half the warranty, and slip shock problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LoL, we all need hobbies.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Grumpy I follow your thinking almost exactly. I have bought the last 4 computers I owned from Dell also.

I also totally agree in regard to all that overkill computer power. The computer makers have reached a point where they have improved themselves right up against a dead end. Who the hell needs the difference between a 1 gig machine and a 5 gig machine now? Just so my Excel program opens 1/10 of a second faster???? I save the hotest, fastest machines for the other buyers, I'll take the model from Dell that is being replaced by the new machine at a nice discount.

The one thing I do say is do buy the biggest and best monitor you can afford, buy it at the time of purchase of a system for a really good price. Monitors can be used for many more years as the computer you bought it for gets replaced you still keep that monitor. Plus your eyes will thank you for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mike, you still totally missed my point.

I'm not talking about the difference of a "1 gig machine and a 5 gig machine" as you put it. Im talking about the actual components.
There are many different companies making the same components for pc's but not at the same quality.

Lexus makes a Sedan, and Ford makes the Focus Sedan. Their both cars and they serve that same purpose, but are they of the same quality?

But you are right about the monitors. Dont go cheap if you spend more than 10 hours a week on your pc, and you care about your eyes.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Grumpy,

I have 21's. Once you go big it is one of those things in life that you wonder how you could ever work on anything smaller again. Spread sheets, designs, everything fits better. These things are huge though, I would love to go LCD some time, but have to wait for the prices to come down. I'm way to cheap.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Josh,

You are right also, the componets in that box are just as important as the speed of the machine which everybody fixates on.

With Dell you can ask what is in the box and change or upgrade just about every componet. I always do this to some degree or another. For instance they tell you the brand of the NIC is Bahama-mama, you tell them I want a 3com-this-or-that, the difference in price is usually small since these guys are buying these parts in huge quantities they are getting them way cheaper than you or I ever could. I don't know how many people actually do that, I suspect most just take the sale model that they offer, but the option exists and it really makes it the best of both worlds.

Frankly, if I had the expertese I would probably go your route, since we are all mechanically minded we all here probably have the ability to learn to build our own boxes as you suggest, however, I think we all pick our lines in the sand that we don't cross. We all have to choose were we get more self-suffiecient and where we choose to buy something off the shelf. I could make my own drill bits, but I choose to just buy them off the shelf. I could sharpen bits and blades myself, but I choose to drop them off. Obviously we face these types of situations every day with our customers. Some of the jobs we do are along the lines that make you wonder why people would choose to pay someone else to do them when they could do them so easily themselves.

Running a snake through a drain, how hard is that? Yet how many homeowners call somebody to do it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LoL very true..My good friend owns his own sewer cleaning business. I helped him before and he deserves every penny he gets.

BTW, if you want to upgrade to LCD's. Check out LCD tv's. The cost is less than a LCD monitor, the picture is just as good in my opinion. And if you have a TV tuner in your video card, you can watch tv on your pc.

Just a more affordable way to get an LCD. Check out veiwsonic's website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts