Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
That post on nationalgeographic.com is certainly great background. The contractor has a great sense of material properties and did everything to keep the mortar in compression.

·
Super Moderator
10,557 Posts
While I am not a mason, I love the geometry and engineering that was needed to make that happen. A couple of my guys watched that show last week and were raving about it. I am glad to have finally watched it.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Aha ! that sounds very likely. Thank you.

I only saw part of it. (I'll look online later today) My question is how did they establish the height of the courses as they went? I didn't follow that.
I saw the the coursing was a reversed arch. How did they maintain the proper elevation throughout the job?

·
Super Moderator
10,557 Posts
I only saw part of it. (I'll look online later today) My question is how did they establish the height of the courses as they went? I didn't follow that.
I saw the the coursing was a reversed arch. How did they maintain the proper elevation throughout the job?
Rope lines. Swung from a radius on the ground. Your gonna have to watch the rest of it.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
That post on nationalgeographic.com is certainly great background. The contractor has a great sense of material properties and did everything to keep the mortar in compression.
An interesting enough read but not much meat to it. I'd really love to see the program. I'll have to hope it's re-run, or I guess I could buy it

·
Registered
407 Posts
just watched it. Yes fascinating how the lines that pivot from the radius below, or "flower", create the reverse arch and assure the walls meet perfectly when they got to the top.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, I got a question:

I "get" that a dome like the Pantheon in Rome would be a bugger to make go, but this one has very little arc - more like a spire.

What am I missing?
NO SCAFFOLDING in the Venice dome, = much cheaper to build.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts