Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I need a little input on this one. I have been working for a G.C. for a few weeks now and every payday I have to call in to see whats up with my check and they tell me I have to come in to the office to pick it up. Now there are times that I'm 10 miles to 40 miles from the office. Now I don't know about you guy's but come payday (thats on Fridays) I want my check and want to start my weekend. Other contractors I've worked for have it dropped off to the job site or ready for you if you have to check in at the office before going out to the field. What's your take on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
Hardly Working said:
...every payday I have to call in to see whats up with my check and they tell me I have to come in to the office to pick it up. Now there are times that I'm 10 miles to 40 miles from the office...come payday (thats on Fridays) I want my check and want to start my weekend.
My take is you need to make some changes if you don't want to be chasing down your check every week.
If it were me, and there didn't seem to be a consistent policy for distributing payroll, I'd start calling on Thursday afternoon to find out where I'd need to get my check on Friday. I'd also ask what time the check would be available.
If driving to the office was required I'd be sure to go get my check during work hours-not after. Maybe even go in during the day and then return to work.

If you like working there, and it's just a policy of the employer to have people come in and get their checks, see if you can't find a way to get ahead enough that you can just have them mail it to you. That'll save you the aggravation of having to drive after it.
 

·
DGR,IABD
Joined
·
9,683 Posts
I have noticed, on other jobs, that if paychecks are handed out Friday mornings or sometime during the day on Friday, guys start to come down with mystery illnesses. Either that, or they suddenly have someplace else to be. This might be the company's way of making sure you work all day on Friday. Admittedly, I'm sure that it's quite aggrivating to have to chase your check like that. Especially if you're also trying to make it to the bank before they close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
mdshunk said:
I have noticed, on other jobs, that if paychecks are handed out Friday mornings or sometime during the day on Friday, guys start to come down with mystery illnesses. Either that, or they suddenly have someplace else to be. This might be the company's way of making sure you work all day on Friday.
I've heard that same complaint for 25 years but have never actually seen the the pattern of repeated absenteeism that it describes. I distribute on Thursday checks that are dated for Friday payment. If I was to see a particular employee that was struggling to be at work on Friday I'd handle his individual problem accordingly.
 

·
DGR,IABD
Joined
·
9,683 Posts
Pipe Guy's policy of handing out checks on Thursday dated for Friday is a good one. This gives the employee the option of endorsing the check and having the wife do the banking and maybe some grocery shopping while they are working. Maybe she can buy herself a new apron or something.
 

·
DGR,IABD
Joined
·
9,683 Posts
6stringmason said:
I am going to show my wife who has a bachelors degree in Nursing and does cardiology research for Bellin, one of the best heart care facilities in the world, that post. ;)
Yes, you should. If she needs a new apron, she might appreciate that handy tip. Hopefully she's not also a female body builder, or I'm in big trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
if she's anything like my wife, a cma working on her rn,and a regular weight lifter-- YOU might need a DOCTOR to surgically remove that apron from your a$$!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
mdshunk said:
..having the wife do the banking and maybe some grocery shopping while they are working. Maybe she can buy herself a new apron or something.
Reel 'em in MD :cheesygri A comment like that always gets lots of bites :Thumbs:
 

·
DGR,IABD
Joined
·
9,683 Posts
PipeGuy said:
Reel 'em in MD :cheesygri A comment like that always gets lots of bites :Thumbs:
It never ceases to amaze me how a person can say off the wall stuff like that, omit the smilies, and folks take you for serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,603 Posts
Hardly Working said:
Okay I need a little input on this one. I have been working for a G.C. for a few weeks now and every payday I have to call in to see whats up with my check and they tell me I have to come in to the office to pick it up. Now there are times that I'm 10 miles to 40 miles from the office. Now I don't know about you guy's but come payday (thats on Fridays) I want my check and want to start my weekend. Other contractors I've worked for have it dropped off to the job site or ready for you if you have to check in at the office before going out to the field. What's your take on this?
In my part of the country, in our business, most of the guys are happy to get a good check. I live in one of those "right to work states" which I think means labor has very little rights. I came from a strong labor state and brought those values with me and treated the guys accordingly. Now that i'm not doing much I went to help a former employee turned contractor for a couple of days. This fellow owes me and six other guys money from six weeks ago and has a new crew doing a new project. I think the guy belongs in the bottom of the river but we don't have any good rivers. I think we'll all get paid but for some of the guys this is rent and groceries. Anyway the guys I know wouldn't complain about driving for a check but I think If a company wants good people they should have the check there. RT. People complain about unions but there was alot of blood shed to get the middle class where it is today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
as to states with a lack of labor rights,try kansas. outside of the aircraft industry, the word "union" is spoken in the same tone reserved for "pedophile". by the way- no good rivers here either, but the mississippi is only a few hours away. come on down-and bring a friend!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input guys and the jokes. I think I'll try to get him set up with direct deposit. It's tough for some of the other guys I work with because they may not have a bank account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
mdshunk said:
It never ceases to amaze me how a person can say off the wall stuff like that, omit the smilies, and folks take you for serious.
Which is the whole point of smilies. To show emotion and give an overall tone to your statements. If I knew you personally, and not just reading those comments off an internet forum, I might have taken it differently. :Thumbs:

P.S.
So noone takes this the wrong way, that means "no hard feelings".
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top