Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have '95 Payne Model GB1AAV04811. Has been tempermental for few weeks...fails to ignite after inducer runs for several seconds. Eventually it would make it though. Today, it "Won't get over the hump". The LED is falshing 3-1 "pressure switch did not close or reopen". I have eliminated most other causes such as blockage etc. Can't check inducer motor with the fancy device I have heard mentioned. I am wondering if it is worth it to buy the pressure switch I found at furnace parts.com for $88. If that fixes it, of course I am happy. If not, did I waste my money? Any thoughts?

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
the inducer motor can be checked! try amping the motor out to see if it matches the rated current draw. Also a manometer can check to see if you are pulling the necessary pressure. Check to see if there is a natural trap formed by the pressure switch tubing to the inducer motor. Sometimes moisture can accumulate in there and act a partiale or full restriction. Good luck :Thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

NickTech said:
the inducer motor can be checked! try amping the motor out to see if it matches the rated current draw. Also a manometer can check to see if you are pulling the necessary pressure. Check to see if there is a natural trap formed by the pressure switch tubing to the inducer motor. Sometimes moisture can accumulate in there and act a partiale or full restriction. Good luck :Thumbs:
Could not find any restrictions in places you describe. I found the entire inducer motor assembly for less than $100 and will replace. Hoping that solves the recurrent problem. Will post results

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
before you replace the motor assembly, use a manometer to check the pressure pull from the old one. after replacing with the new one, check it too. See if there is a difference between them. If there is then good job, if not you might be in the same boat that you started with. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
15 Posts
before you order parts check one thing
does the inducer begin to slow before, or after the pressure switch opens?
you may have to hold tour hand on it to tell whether or not this is happening
better yet if you have a voltmeter check to dee if the 115 volts drops out before or after the fault is indicated
payne is made by carrier and carrier had alot of problems with poor soldering on their circuit boards in that time frame
follow the wires down to the molded pastic connector on the circuit board where the two inducer wires plug in
if the female molded plug on the board is a maroon looking red you probably have a circuit board with the bad connection...you can usually push on the plug and listen to the inducer start and stop as you wiggle the plug
updated boards have black plastic female connectors

hope this helps
scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts