Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having difficulty finding information on Payne A/C equipment. Can anybody provide me with insight to quality?

Also, I read somewhere that in order for Rheem to honor its warranty it has to be serviced by the vendor that installed it. Is this true?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Payne is a "builders line" of Carraier/Bryant. Make sure it is installed right and you shouldn't have anymore troubles with it than any thing else. As for Rheem/Ruud/Weatherking being picky on warranty claims, I have not run into that problem here (not a dealer for them) with the local supply house that distributes that brand. Although they may be talking about labor coverage as I cannot get any labor allowances for warranty repairs, just the part needed. But, I always wonder why a person would have Brand X furnace installed and then have a dealer that sells Brand Y service/repair it.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HVAC Doc said:
Payne is a "builders line" of Carraier/Bryant. Make sure it is installed right and you shouldn't have anymore troubles with it than any thing else. As for Rheem/Ruud/Weatherking being picky on warranty claims, I have not run into that problem here (not a dealer for them) with the local supply house that distributes that brand. Although they may be talking about labor coverage as I cannot get any labor allowances for warranty repairs, just the part needed. But, I always wonder why a person would have Brand X furnace installed and then have a dealer that sells Brand Y service/repair it.
What does "builders line" refer to? Is the unit less durable or sturdy?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Unregistered said:
What does "builders line" refer to? Is the unit less durable or sturdy?
Builders line means that they have very little warranty 1yr. parts, 5 yr. compressor, 10 or 15 yr. possibly 20 yr. heat exchanger warrantys. Commonly they will have a reciprocating compressor which is noiser and less durable than the scroll compressors. They also do not include items such as compressor sound blankets or sound deadened compressor housings, high and low pressure cutoff switches, and insulated blower cabinets on the furnaces. The a/c units also do not include sound deadening tops or hail guards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PAYNE: A division of Carrier Corp-United Technologies. The name is used on the economy line of Carrier equipment.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In the scheme of things, they are in the middle. But honestly, can't really find any differences between the Carriers or Bryants on most things. heck, the coils we get now have a Carrier and a Bryant logo in them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts