Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're siding a 1910 home that tested positive for lead. In talking to the local inspector he indicated that if we wrap the house and simply apply the siding no lead safe practices are required. However if we do any tear-off lead safe practices will be required to contain the dust and debris.

The subs tore off a square of bad siding in the process of installation and used lead safe practices.

I pay an extra $30/sq for installation were the practice is needed.

When I got the invoice they billed me for 28 squares of lead safe installation instead of 1 square. When I questioned the invoice he stated, "The home had lead so I layed tarp out."

I've changed our estimated labor process to avoid this in the future but a few questions.

What's everyone paying for lead safe work when siding?

Would you always pay for a full house of lead safe premium when it's only needed in certain areas or circumstances?

What would you do in this scenario?

Let the fun begin!

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
900$ bucks sounds reasonable. Lay out 100$ of non reusable plastic. Mask off interior of all windows. Clean 2 feet around each interior opening and perform cleaning verification. Post danger signs around work area. Provide relevant notices to home owner. Wet down all plastic. Vacuum all plastic. Put all plastic in plastic bags and tape closed. Dispose of plastic. Pick up ALL paint debris. Assume risk of debilitating fines in the event of inspection which will most likely find some infraction. Keep records indefinitely. Attend licensure course and pay annual state fees and semi annual federal fees.

If your sub has done all of this, you got a deal.

If your sub isn't rrp licensed consider it hush money.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
It's $840 so I'd say that was dumb of the sub. Tell him you'll pay him $100 just because he laid out the tarp although it wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BDiamond said:
So we're siding a 1910 home that tested positive for lead. In talking to the local inspector he indicated that if we wrap the house and simply apply the siding no lead safe practices are required. However if we do any tear-off lead safe practices will be required to contain the dust and debris. The subs tore off a square of bad siding in the process of installation and used lead safe practices. I pay an extra $30/sq for installation were the practice is needed. When I got the invoice they billed me for 28 squares of lead safe installation instead of 1 square. When I questioned the invoice he stated, "The home had lead so I layed tarp out." I've changed our estimated labor process to avoid this in the future but a few questions. What's everyone paying for lead safe work when siding? Would you always pay for a full house of lead safe premium when it's only needed in certain areas or circumstances? What would you do in this scenario? Let the fun begin!
If he went over the existing I would not pay extra. I would however pay extra for the areas that did get removed. Is your sub certified to remove lead? If not you could be in violation. Laying out a tarp just don't cut it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went over to the house. The ground is hot. Paint chips sprinkled here and there so containment, if they did any at all was shoddy at best. Told him I wasn't paying for any lead practices since the site would fail if anyone showed up. Told him I'd kick in $300 to get the site cleaned up. He has his crew over there now. He is lead and firm certified. He won't be doing anymore lead jobs in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts