Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been tiling this guys bathrooms and he asked me if i can do a paver walkway out front. Nothing fancy. I did one years ago at my old bosses house and it really wasn't that complicated. My only real questions are:

the front lawn is on a slope, The walkway will go across it, should i follow that slope or cut it out and make it flat?

any other pointers would be great.

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will be going perpendicular to the slope of the yard. (if that makes sense)

yeah if it was my yard i would make it flat. kinda dumb question but just thought id see what other people think.

should there be any slope for water run off or you dont have to worry about that because of the gravel and sand underneath.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just don't pitch towards the house. Say you run level alongside the house or even pitch it, the opposite side could be level or less than but wash rinse and repeat first part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Based off my experiences, I always use 1/4" per foot slope that is always pitched away from the building into a permeable surface. If your in a climate with frost thaw conditions id suggest not using fine sand since it can hold moisture and cause settlement in the pavers, use mason dust or fine stone so moisture can pass through. Take extra time prepping the base and pay close attention to your slope (use a string line if you don't have a laser). Hope this helps and best if luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I've always had good luck with with the stuff. Puts a nice finish on the walkway and comes in a variety of colors that will compliment the pavers nicely. Just make sure your thoroughly sweep the sand into the joints with a FINE broom. If you use a course broom it will not work the sand into the joints nicely. Once you finish sweeping into the joints, hose off the excess thoroughly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.