Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just installed new pavers and used silica sand, just keeps blowing out.
one half inch joints, what is the alternative to loose sand?
Thanks
John
spadoc

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
What kind or pavers are using 1/2" joints for?

Interlocking concrete pavers have very tight joints (1/16 - 1/8") depending on the manufactured spacers on the side. - They require a fine sand (mason's sand).

Other types (clay and large concrete "stepping stones") are usually used with larger joints that do not give the stability, but may be OK for a patio, but not for a driveway or street.

Dick

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
As I said, what kind of pavers. - "Torpedo sand" is just a local term, but usually is not good for anything other than the sloppy, wide gap pavers and not the much more common interlocking concrete pavers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would suggest using a polymeric sand like Alliance's Gator Sand. It hardens when you wet it. This will keep weeds and ants out of the joints and keep the sand from blowing out.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I would suggest using a polymeric sand like Alliance's Gator Sand. It hardens when you wet it. This will keep weeds and ants out of the joints and keep the sand from blowing out.
I don't like that stuff it doesn't drain like the traditional sands.

I used to do walkways with another company when I lived on the east coast and we never used polymer stuff.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,309 Posts
For joints that size I would use crushed stone. It'll pack tight, keep things pretty stable and drain well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts