Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm residing the majority of a bungalow in Seattle. I'm looking at 1/2x4 bevel FJ pre-primed paulowina to match the existing painted 1/2x4 ceder. I have never used paulowina. Its supposed to be rot and insect resistant.

The price is right at .69 per lin ft for 16ft. The material and mfg is all from China (www asiabm dot com). Does this wood and FJ glue hold up?

Has anyone used this? Any opinions?

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Sorry I've never used paulowina.

Is your local lumber yard carrying the product?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'm residing the majority of a bungalow in Seattle. I'm looking at 1/2x4 bevel FJ pre-primed paulowina to match the existing painted 1/2x4 ceder. I have never used paulowina. Its supposed to be rot and insect resistant.

The price is right at .69 per lin ft for 16ft. The material and mfg is all from China (www asiabm dot com). Does this wood and FJ glue hold up?

Has anyone used this? Any opinions?
It sounds like a bad bet.
Every thing you have said about it
is a negative in my mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, a local lumbar yard does carry it. Limback lumber in Ballard. They have been around for 80 years.... Chinese siding, not so long.

A neighbor on the street used this product last year. I checked it out and it seems fine... but that's one year.

For 1/2x4 bevel the only other option is clear VG cedar. The material cost is ~ $1 per lin ft, but it will have to be primed/backprimed, ugh.

PS. I misspell it. Its paulownia, not paulowina.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
oooohh... I don't like the sound of it either.

I just had my yard look for alternatives as well... They didn't suggest chinese composite.

So, I just paid $.92/ lf for vg 1/2x4 (actually 3 1/2) clear cedar A and better clap.

It was random length 3' to 19':w00t:

I figured it would cheaper up there in the PNW, guess not

here's a really bad pic of some of it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts