Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have to quote a job for installing a patio sliding door into a bay window (middle section only, brick on the bottom), just wondering if anyone has done this or has any tip for install, finish?

They already ordered the door themselves and the width is 59-1/4", the inside measurement from the center of the trim on the sides where it is mulled together is 60.5"

Here is a picture, thanks for any help. Only the middle window and brick would be coming out.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
They already ordered the door themselves and the width is 59-1/4", the inside measurement from the center of the trim on the sides where it is mulled together is 60.5"

Personally, I think it's a bad idea on several points.
1. The actual opening available to pass through will probably be just over 20", which will suck to walk through with a tray of food.
2. There will be little if any structure to attach the door frame to.
3. I don't think it will be visually attractive.
To each his/her own. That area looks better suited for a breakfast nook to me.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
This is one of those jobs you just have to feel your way through, one quick observation, i would remove the brick all the way back to the main house, this will make for a better transition at the door sides.G

ONE MORE THING, T&MIT

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Is the 69½" on the inside or outside?
Is it a vinyl door you plan to hang
from two vinyl windows?
Sounds like bad medicine to me.
Like Lone said, they won't be happy
with the results unless they are
very skinny people.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
This is one of those jobs you just have to feel your way through, one quick observation, i would remove the brick all the way back to the main house, this will make for a better transition at the door sides.G

ONE MORE THING, T&MIT
Yeah, remove brick, lose side
windows, frame a real RO, and
let them order some side lights. :thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Just put a slider replacement window there in the middle.

You can pass stuff through it, you could climb in and out just about as easily as a tiny little patio door.
'Nuff said. :thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All sounds good except the "as a tiny little patio door" these are older folks now;).

The only problem with some of the suggestions is that they already ordered the custom non returnable window, before I was ever involved.

Its 60.5 in the inside, its an Anderson patio door that they want installed where the middle picture window is, the sides will still be there, I am not sure if I should take it, like said, it could be hassle. very skinny people? Me no understand?

Why do I always get this crazy stuff:rolleyes:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
All sounds good except the "as a tiny little patio door" these are older folks now;).

The only problem with some of the suggestions is that they already ordered the custom non returnable window, before I was ever involved.

Its 60.5 in the inside, its an Anderson patio door that they want installed where the middle picture window is, the sides will still be there, I am not sure if I should take it, like said, it could be hassle. very skinny people? Me no understand?

Why do I always get this crazy stuff:rolleyes:
The 5/0 Andersen slider has a usable opening of 20.5 inches clear space if I remember correctly. Measure the width of a typical serving tray. Those burgers will taste a little crunchy the first time the homeowner tilts them onto the patio to get the tray through the door.:no: They are getting ready to make a huge mistake. I'd rather eat the cost of the door and install a 3/0 hinge door on my own house. Those doors are useful for nothing more than an egress opening.
As for your rough opening, you will have a rough time squeezing that door into the width. Also, the head heights may not match the windows flanking the door. Just a peeve of mine.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
The 5/0 Andersen slider has a usable opening of 20.5 inches clear space if I remember correctly. Measure the width of a typical serving tray. Those burgers will taste a little crunchy the first time the homeowner tilts them onto the patio to get the tray through the door.:no: They are getting ready to make a huge mistake. I'd rather eat the cost of the door and install a 3/0 hinge door on my own house. Those doors are useful for nothing more than an egress opening.
As for your rough opening, you will have a rough time squeezing that door into the width. Also, the head heights may not match the windows flanking the door. Just a peeve of mine.
And you have no room for
framing.
You will be securing the windows
and knee walls to the door jambs. :blink:
It will be anchored at the head
and sill alone.....
(providing there is a header up there)
Bad luck for all concerned.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Just another thought. The windows alongside the door may be required to have tempered glass in that close proximity to the door. Check with local code enforcement.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
I have seen it and done it. No problem not ideal but it works fine. My first thoughts were the same as the other guys.......pull the brick on the sides. The side glass is required to be tempered but only if there being changed.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have seen it and done it. No problem not ideal but it works fine.
I've installed no less than 20 of these 5/0 doors over the years and I have recurring joint pain from shearing off bits and pieces of my elbows on each and every one of them.:censored::furious::mad::sad:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I can see your guys points (about the door being too small and the not much of a framing area) if the door was a slider, but I don’t think it would be a problem if it was 2 dual swing doors (I am not sure what it is) either case It sounds like it could be a potential nightmare, so I am just going to let it go, but thanks for all the help.

The guy told me he just got laid off (but he just came back from vacation also) so I should sharpen my pencil, kind of a red flag to me. Thanks

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
The guy told me he just got laid off (but he just came back from vacation also) so I should sharpen my pencil, kind of a red flag to me. Thanks
Yup, this is a case where you should sharpen your pencil, then stab him in the eye with it. Stinkin' Pirate.:laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Be interesting to drive past
and see what happened in
a couple of months. :shifty:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, this is a case where you should sharpen your pencil, then stab him in the eye with it. Stinkin' Pirate.:laughing:
:pirate:
:laughing:

"Be interesting to drive past
and see what happened in
a couple of months. :shifty:"

Interesting indeed:shifty:.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
:pirate:
:laughing:

"Be interesting to drive past