Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, hope the ghosts and goblins were good to everyone last night. I'm posting this morning because I feel like banging my head into a wall after a conversation I had last night at my wife's Halloween office party (a conversation I should not even have entertained). What I need is some advice on how to deal with my wife's boss as well as my wife lol. Here it is in a nutshell.... The company my wife work's for rent their office space. Her boss is on a mission to renovate this space and make it "pimp" (his words not mine). He wants to basically gut out one half of the space, add French doors, remove existing doors, demo one of two kitchens, demo interior walls, relocate appliances, demo tile floors, raise and refinish a flat roof over two rooms, add glass walls, add modern this modern that...... Now normally I don't even so much as talk to tenants about renovations due to the fact that their tenants & not owners. One other little side story, same property, same boss.... 3 months ago my wife asked if I would look at the rotten deck they had at the office and give her boss a bid to rebuild it. I was hesitant as usual but threw together a quick and simple bid for the job. I was shocked when they actually gave me a key to the property and wanted me to start on a set date. I was told everyone was on board and I had the green light... well the night before I was to start the job I got a call from one of her bosses assistants and she told me that the owner had another guy that was going to do the work and that he never agreed that I was to do the work...... of course. Well after calling my guys off and letting them know the job fell through I was a bit pissed. But how pissed can you get at your wife's boss and your wife for that matter... So now this guy is wanting me to put together another bid for an even bigger project at the same property/same owner. I tried explaining to my wife that I wasn't going to do it (the bid), that it was going to be a huge waste of my time just as before. The owner is never going to approve such a project and even if he did I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't be the one the owner choose to do the work and rightfully so. So how would you guys approach this and what might you do to help her boss and my wife to understand how the game is played...... So far all I have gotten from my wife is a negative attitude and comments like, "forget about it, I'll just tell him you don't want to do the job or help him out..." in her best sarcastic voice. Trying not to make her look bad but i mean really.....

·
Registered
683 Posts
You can do a few things.

- just let her tell her boss you don't want to do it.

- send him a professional email saying that if he wants a quote to give you direct contact with the owner of the building and anything you do will be approved by the owner.

- send an outrageously high quote for waisting your time the last time you were supposed to do a project for them

I'd probably go with option 2.

·
Punching above his weight
13,641 Posts
Act completely excited about the project and tell your wife and her boss that you're completely on board.
All you have to do is follow proper procedure. Step 1: Get the property owner to sign off on the project. It should end there. You're still the good guy. "If it wasn't for that meddling owner I'd have totally pimped your office!"
If somehow the owner is into it, pimp the office. Apply proper pimpage rates though. I've worked for the wife's company before and often times your wife will be more loyal to her business' checking account than your own.

Gooooooooooooood luck. Hope you've got a comfy couch.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,330 Posts
She's selling you to her boss, and getting a green light for a bid. Your wife needs to understand that if if there is potential work out there, the potential customer needs to be taking to you, not her.

There's an added complication that if her boss isn't happy with the end product, he can put a lot of pressure on you, through her, to get freebies. It isn't fair to her for you to allow her to be put in this position, and it isn't fair to you to put your business in a vulnerable position. It's worse than doing work for friends or relatives.

Yes, building owners limit both what can be done and who is chosen for a contractor. Both of those can hurt their pocket book, so they frequently have final say - they're the actual decision maker, not her boss. A bid to her boss would be probably used to convince the owner to move forward on OKing specific changes with specific contractors.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I like the color of all the other suggestions....

but as a practical matter..... just tell him the truth..... you appreciate his interest in your work, but you need to, probably ought to, decline as to the issues with the landlord, and your wife's employment situation.

Offer to advise him pro-bono, or anything you can do to help.... and write off your time as being a nice person (with a financial interest).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice... I just sent him this, I think it will all work out now and I can move onto other things....

"Hey ****-
I wanted to let you know I'm working on a very basic estimate for the work everyone described to me last night and will send it your way shortly. I'm going to hold off though on any in-depth planning as you guys really need to bring this project up to the owner before planning things out with me. As you saw the last time he decides what if any work is to be done as well as who he wants to do the work. It's his or his representatives signature I will need on my contract so you really need to include him in everything, ideas, planning, materials, etc and see if he is on board, otherwise the project will never leave the ground. You should speak directly with the owner or his representative and explain the scope of work you want to do. Just speaking as a matter of fact here btw and just trying to help you guys out. "

1 - 12 of 12 Posts