Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the name for the stucco that you see on almost any modern shopping mall, hotel, etc? The stuff goes on a fiberglass mesh.

I am needing to patch some of this and I want to have the texture match the existing stucco. I figured I would just get some of the correct product, rather than just any patching product.
Thanks for any info.
Martin.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
The building management doesn't know what it is? Seems they should have a record of it somewhere.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Synthetic stucco I imagine. Couple different brands but we used Parex. I wish you luck because that stuff does not "patch" very well. It will burn and more than likely will be seen.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Dryvit has been around for a very long time. But that was installed directly on to special board that we hung. I would think there are newer products out there.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
Generically it is EIFS. Exterior Insulative Finish System

Patching the textured finish is very difficult to 'blend' around the edges. Most brands offer up to 4 textures.

It is an acrylic finish with aggregate. Like paint, the finish fades and picks up pollutants. New against old will likely stand out as well as the texture issues.

You can patch it, but everyone should be aware of what to expect. If you haven't done anything with EIFS before, I would expect your results wouldn't be as good as they could be if that was your specialty.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. The finish is going to be repainted. We power washed a section last week and I was shocked how much color washed out.

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
prob something a pro should tackle. The guy I had come in for a large building project fixed about 10+ holes and they were visible. Looked like they were slightly proud of the surrounding area-sprayed additional coats but it never blended well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts