Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Removing Chimney Need advice on patching metal roof

I have a chimney to remove but it is tucked into the metal roof ever so slightly. Photo Attached

The roof appears to be of the standing metal seam variety but is only about 2' feet up and then the roof turns to slate.

Than is the best way to patch the roof after the chimney has been removed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Im surprised by the lack of advice for this first time poster. He has a complicated problem here we must help him out, so he dosnt have to call a pro

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
You are being to hard on the poor guy Red, Just draw him up a step by step process or even better go do the job for free so he will know next time. After all we make make way to much money on a job.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My bad Randy.... I should go show him how to zip a panel for free, wait i don't know where he's located. Probably closer to you tho, guessing icing issues on old roof? seriously would like to know why some one would roof that way, looks to me like metal is tarred down

·
Registered
368 Posts
My bad Randy.... I should go show him how to zip a panel for free, wait i don't know where he's located. Probably closer to you tho, guessing icing issues on old roof? seriously would like to know why some one would roof that way, looks to me like metal is tarred down
Very common on old slate roofs here, usually copper but I've seen terne as well.
It's for ice, and aesthetics. All the ones I've seen are double locked with the seam turned flat at the top

Real fun to tear out, replace.

·
Been around
1,151 Posts
............. seriously would like to know why some one would roof that way, looks to me like metal is tarred down
The metal along the edge provides for both protection from, and release of, ice build up.

Don't see it much around the urban and city centers. Don't know the OP's location, but it isn't uncommon in rural areas and smaller towns here in NY state.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Red Adobe said:
Im surprised by the lack of advice for this first time poster. He has a complicated problem here we must help him out, so he dosnt have to call a pro
Sometimes you have to think outside of your normal, give the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions. Is what a wise man once told me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts