Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a shower using the Kerdi system over drywall. I'm attaching the drywall over the existing brick using furring strips.
Here's my problem. When removing the plaster from the brick, I found the brick to be in rough shape. I'd like to put a level coat of patch over the brick before the furring strips. As a tile guy I have a lot of thin set mortar laying around. Would this be a good repair or should I use something else?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Doing the same type of job right. Back wall in an older house about 7' wide or so. We set a laser level on the floor attached the furring strips and shimmed as needed to touch the laser line giving a perfectly level and flat wall.

We had to build it out where that the tub would fit the space right. I don't have pictures right but hopefully it makes sense. If you don't have a laser level a regular level should work fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I do plan on leveling the furring strips, but I just wanted to strengthen some cracked and crumbling brick before I put my tapcons in.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
tmg862 said:
Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on leveling the furring strips, but I just wanted to strengthen some cracked and crumbling brick before I put my tapcons in.
We didn't really have that issue so I can't give much input there. I'm not sure if thinset would strengthen cracked brick much though. Is it possible to attach in different places or is the whole wall compromised?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts